Spain has begun withdrawing its military personnel from Iraq through Türkiye’s Incirlik Air Base, according to the claim accompanying a widely shared video.
The footage reportedly shows Spanish troops boarding a Turkish aircraft before returning home following their deployment in Iraq. However, the video alone does not confirm the broader political claims circulating alongside it.
Posts accompanying the footage claim that NATO told the United States it was “not part of this meaningless war” in the Middle East. However, no official NATO statement using those words has been publicly released.
🚨 BREAKING:
NATO member Spain is withdrawing its forces from Iraq via the Turkish Incirlik Air Base.
NATO told the U.S.: "We are not part of this meaningless war of yours in the Middle East." pic.twitter.com/kIHP5VGQBh
— GBC (@GBC_Press) August 4, 2026
The posts also allege that NATO members have expressed growing frustration over the United States’ conflict with Iran. They further claim the war has destabilised the Middle East and driven global oil and gas prices higher.
However, these assertions require independent verification from official sources. NATO decisions are typically announced through formal statements rather than anonymous social media posts.
Spain has previously adjusted its overseas military deployments based on changing security conditions and government policy. Nevertheless, any significant NATO policy shift would normally be announced through official alliance channels.
The circulating video has attracted widespread attention on social media. Consequently, many users are sharing it alongside claims about divisions within the NATO alliance.
At present, there is no publicly verified evidence supporting the alleged NATO quotation attributed to the alliance in the viral posts. Therefore, viewers should treat the accompanying claims with caution until they are confirmed by official sources.
