No injuries reported after early morning shooting near diplomatic mission
TORONTO: Canadian police have launched an investigation after at least one shot was fired outside the United States Consulate in downtown Toronto early on Monday, marking the second reported shooting at the diplomatic mission in the past four months.
According to Toronto Police, officers in the area heard a gunshot and responded immediately to the scene on University Avenue. Investigators later found evidence indicating that a firearm had been discharged outside the consulate building.
Police said no injuries were reported in the incident.
Authorities also stated that a white sedan was seen leaving the area shortly after the shooting. However, they did not immediately provide information about possible suspects or a motive.
The area surrounding the consulate was cordoned off as officers gathered evidence and continued their investigation.
Incident follows previous shooting
The latest shooting comes after several shots were fired at the same US Consulate on March 10. That incident occurred amid a series of separate shootings targeting synagogues in the Greater Toronto Area.
In June, Toronto Police said young people were allegedly being paid to carry out shootings at various locations, including synagogues, Jewish schools and the US Consulate. However, authorities did not release further details regarding those allegations or identify those believed to be behind the incidents.
Police have not indicated whether Monday’s shooting is linked to the earlier attacks.
Investigation remains ongoing
Authorities are reviewing evidence from the scene and are expected to examine surveillance footage from the surrounding area as part of the investigation.
The US Consulate had not publicly commented on the incident at the time of publication.
Police have appealed for anyone who witnessed the shooting or has information about the white sedan to come forward.
Investigators continue to work to determine the circumstances surrounding the shooting, while security around the diplomatic mission remains under close observation following the latest incident. No arrests had been announced, and officials said the investigation remains active.
