Israeli airstrikes killed at least 10 people in southern Lebanon on Friday, including six rescue workers and a child, according to Lebanonโs health ministry. The attacks came as fighting between Hezbollah and Israel Defense Forces continued despite an active ceasefire agreement.
The latest violence has intensified fears of a wider regional conflict. Cross-border attacks have continued for weeks, even after diplomatic efforts aimed at reducing tensions between Israel and Lebanon.
Lebanese officials said the strikes targeted multiple towns near the southern city of Tyre. Several emergency responders were among the victims. The attacks also caused panic among civilians already displaced by months of violence.
Rescue Workers and Civilians Killed in Southern Lebanon
According to Lebanonโs health ministry, one Israeli strike hit the village of Deir Qanun al-Nahr near Tyre. The attack killed six people, including two rescue workers linked to the Risala Scouts association and a Syrian child.
The Risala Scouts organization is associated with the Amal movement, a Hezbollah-allied political group in Lebanon. The strike caused severe damage in the village and raised concerns about attacks targeting humanitarian and emergency workers.
Earlier on Friday, another airstrike struck the southern town of Hanaway. Lebanese authorities said four rescuers from the Islamic Health Committee were killed during that attack. The committee is linked to Hezbollah and operates emergency medical services in conflict zones.
The continued attacks have increased pressure on hospitals and rescue teams in southern Lebanon. Medical facilities in border areas are struggling to handle the growing number of casualties.
Meanwhile, the Israeli military claimed it carried out a separate operation against two armed individuals near the border. In a statement shared on Telegram, the Israeli army said surveillance units identified suspicious armed movement close to Israeli territory.
The military said the individuals were monitored before being targeted and killed in an aerial strike.
Israel and Hezbollah Exchange Threats as Ceasefire Weakens
Later on Friday, the Israeli military issued a new evacuation warning for residents of Burj Rahal village near Tyre. Israeli Arabic-language military spokesman Avichay Adraee said the army was preparing operations against Hezbollah positions in the area.
At the same time, Hezbollah announced attacks on Israeli military positions both inside Lebanon and northern Israel. The group said its fighters targeted troops operating near the border.
Senior Hezbollah official Mohammad Raad accused Israel of escalating attacks against Lebanese civilians and villages. In a statement shared with supporters, he said Israel was using force and destruction because it could not break Hezbollah fighters on the battlefield.
He also criticized ongoing direct talks between Lebanon and Israel. Hezbollah strongly opposes negotiations supported by the United States.
Tensions increased further after the United States imposed sanctions on nine individuals linked to Hezbollah. American officials accused them of obstructing Lebanonโs peace process. The sanctions reportedly included two Lebanese military officers accused of sharing sensitive information with Hezbollah.
Regional Conflict Deepens Despite International Mediation
The current conflict escalated after Hezbollah launched rockets into Israel on March 2. The group described the attacks as retaliation for the killing of Iranโs supreme leader during US-Israeli strikes.
Israel responded with extensive airstrikes and military operations inside southern Lebanon. Israeli forces continue operating within a security zone extending several kilometers inside Lebanese territory.
Although a ceasefire began on April 17, violence has never fully stopped. Israeli airstrikes, evacuation warnings, and Hezbollah rocket attacks have continued regularly.
Lebanonโs health ministry says Israeli attacks have killed more than 3,100 people since the wider regional conflict began. Israelโs military has reported the deaths of 22 personnel during the fighting.
Last week, both sides agreed to extend the fragile ceasefire by another 45 days following talks held in Washington. However, the latest attacks show how unstable the situation remains across the Lebanon-Israel border.
