President Lee Jae Myung calls for stronger independent defence capabilities and faster development of nuclear-powered submarines
SEOUL: South Korean President Lee Jae Myung renewed his push Tuesday to regain wartime operational control of the countryโs military from the United States after President Donald Trump ordered a substantial reduction in joint exercises.
Trump instructed the Pentagon on Sunday to scale back this weekโs Ulchi Freedom Shield drills, saying nuclear-armed North Korea had been โunthreatening and respectfulโ and highlighting his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
However, Lee said Seoul should proceed without disruption with the planned transfer of wartime operational control, known as Opcon, during his presidency.
Lee Links Military Sovereignty With Stronger Alliance
Lee argued that greater South Korean defence capabilities would strengthen rather than weaken the alliance with Washington.
The United States has exercised wartime operational control over South Korean forces through the Combined Forces Command since the Korean War. Seoul regained peacetime control in 1994, but successive governments have repeatedly delayed transferring wartime authority.
Moreover, this weekโs military exercises were expected to help certify South Koreaโs readiness for the eventual transfer.
Lee also called for faster development of South Koreaโs nuclear-powered submarine programme and improved training for officers conducting integrated military operations.
Trump Praises Kim as Exercises Scaled Back
The 10-day Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise began Monday and was expected to involve around 18,000 South Korean troops alongside American forces and personnel from several United Nations Command countries.
Meanwhile, Trump said his relationship with Kim had helped reduce tensions, describing their interactions as โvery positiveโ.
Military officials have nevertheless warned that North Korea continues strengthening its capabilities through growing cooperation with Russia and battlefield experience linked to the Ukraine war.
South Koreaโs presidential office stressed Tuesday that the exercises carried no intention of attacking North Korea or escalating tensions.
Instead, Seoul said the drills aimed to strengthen national preparedness and protect the peaceful daily lives of South Koreans.
