LONDON- Buckingham Palace stated on Sunday that Queen Elizabeth II has tested positive for COVID-19 and was suffering from mild cold-like symptoms, but she expects to continue working. The 95-year-old queen’s prognosis sparked concerns and well-wishes from across the political spectrum in Britain.
On the anniversary of the death of her father, King George VI, in1952, the Queen, Britain’s longest-reigning monarch and a fixture in national life, celebrated her 70th year on the throne on Feb. 6. On April 21, she will be 96 years old.
“Light” responsibilities” at Windsor Castle will continue for the queen, who has been vaccinated and given a booster injection, according to the royal officials.
The palace said in a statement that “she will continue to receive medical treatment and will follow all the required protocols.”
If a person tests positive for COVID-19 in the United Kingdom, they must currently self-isolate for at least five days. However, the British government says it aims to remove that condition for England this week.
Two members of the royal family have been diagnosed with COVID-19 this month: the queen’s oldest son Prince Charles and her daughter-in-law, the Duchess of Cornwall. Meanwhile, Charles has returned to work. The queen is now living at Windsor Castle, where there have been reports of many recent virus outbreaks among the employees.
There are many antiviral medications that have been allowed in the United Kingdom to treat COVID-19, infectious diseases specialist Paul Hunter said. Antivirals may be given to elderly patients in order to lessen the likelihood of serious illness developing, thus “I would expect any doctor for a patient in their 90s would contemplate providing these antivirals,” he stated.
On Sunday, several high-ranking British lawmakers extended their best wishes. Johnson tweeted, “I am sure I speak for everyone in wishing Her Majesty The Queen, a fast recovery from COVID and a rapid restoration to bright good health.”
Sajid Javid, the health secretary, tweeted, “Wishing Her Majesty The Queen, a rapid recovery,” while Keir Starmer, the leader of the opposition Labour Party, said, “Good health and a speedy recovery. Ma’am, I hope you’re feeling well soon”.
Elizabeth has been in good health for the whole of her reign and was spotted riding a horse in 2020. For unknown reasons, she spent the night at a London hospital in October of last year and has been observed with a walking stick since then.
She had to cancel appearances at a number of high-profile events following that, including Remembrance Sunday services and the COP26 climate summit in Scotland in November.
She has returned to public activities this month and has met with ambassadors, legislators, and top military leaders both online and in person. “As you can see, I’m paralysed,” she stated, regarding her leg in an interaction recorded on tape last week.
Early in the epidemic of 2020, the queen issued two televised speeches to the country. When Prince Philip’s funeral was held last year, she sat alone due to coronavirus limitations, which she had been vaccinated against.
Royal family members may be more concerned about the queen’s predicament than she is, according to her Majesty magazine managing editor Joe Little.
On March 2, the queen will attend a diplomatic reception at Windsor Castle, as part of her Platinum Jubilee year celebrations, and on March 14, she will attend the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey, also as part of her programme.
Philip, who passed away in April 2021 at the age of99, will be remembered in a memorial service on March 29 at Westminster Abbey.
There will be a military parade, a horse race, and community get-togethers as part of the Platinum Jubilee celebrations, which will take place over the long weekend of June 2 to 5.
The queen is the most recent royal to contract COVID-19 from around the world. King Felipe VI of Spain, 54, and Queen Margrethe of Denmark, 82, both tested positive for the sickness earlier this month and had moderate symptoms.
It’s been a trying week for the British royal family, and now she’s been given some bad news.
Andrew, the queen’s second son, has agreed to pay the lady who accused him of sexually abusing her when she was just 17 years old and travelling with Jeffrey Epstein, a wealthy banker who was known for his sex crimes. Andrew was adamant in his denial of Virginia Giuffre’s accusation. For his accuser’s charity, he agreed to pay a hefty payment in the settlement.
Authorities in London have begun an inquiry into claims that members of one of Prince Charles’ charities tried to assist a Saudi millionaire to get citizenship and honours in exchange for payments, which was announced on Wednesday.