US President Donald Trumpโs son-in-law and envoy Jared Kushner met Hamas leader Khalil al-Hayya in Egypt on Sunday. The talks seek to revive a Gaza peace plan that Israel has rejected.
The meeting comes two weeks after Hamas endorsed the latest stage of Trumpโs Gaza proposal. Under the plan, Hamas has said it would hand over its weapons to a new governing committee.
However, Israel has opposed the proposal, keeping disarmament at the centre of the dispute.
Kushner Presses Hamas on Disarmament
During the meeting, Kushner pressed Hamas to take concrete steps toward verifiable disarmament. The issue remains a key demand of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Kushner also delivered a message focused on preventing Gaza from becoming a future security threat to Israel.
The US envoy called for “concrete, verifiable steps” and relayed a message that “Gaza can never again be a source of terror for Israel”, according to a source familiar with the talks.
Khalil al-Hayya participated in the discussions in the Egyptian Mediterranean city of El-Alamein. It marked his first trip since he assumed leadership of Hamas in July.
Soon after taking the leadership role, Hamas backed the proposed disarmament roadmap. Some observers viewed the move as a tactical decision because Israel was expected to reject the proposal.
Nevertheless, Hamas again expressed its commitment to the plan during the meeting with Kushner.
Hamas Calls for Implementation Timetable
Following the talks, Hamas said it had urged mediators and Trumpโs so-called Board of Peace to take action.
The group called on them to “compel” Israel to “approve the roadmap… and begin establishing a timetable for its implementation”.
The statement came as regional mediators continued efforts to move the proposed Gaza plan forward.
Egypt hosted the discussions in El-Alamein, while Qatar and Turkey also participated in the diplomatic efforts. Both countries remain key mediators alongside Egypt.
A photograph released by Egypt did not show al-Hayya. However, it showed Kushner sitting with members of the Board of Peace.
Former British prime minister Tony Blair was also among those pictured at the table.
US Steps Up Direct Contact With Hamas
The United States had avoided direct contact with Hamas for years. Washington classifies Hamas as a terrorist organisation.
Hamas led the October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, which triggered the Gaza war. However, the Trump administration has increasingly pursued direct contact with the group.
The approach reflects US efforts to end the devastating conflict. Previously, Washington helped negotiate an October ceasefire agreement that resulted in the release of the remaining Israeli hostages.
Kushner is also scheduled to meet Netanyahu on Monday. The Israeli prime minister remains a strong opponent of concessions that could undermine Israelโs security demands.
Netanyahu also faces a difficult re-election contest in October, adding another political dimension to the negotiations.
Muslim Countries Condemn Israelโs Rejection
Meanwhile, regional pressure on Israel increased as several Muslim-majority countries criticised its rejection of the Gaza proposal.
Egypt, Qatar and Turkey, along with Jordan, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Pakistan and Indonesia, condemned Israelโs position on Sunday.
In a joint statement, the countries said “Israel bears direct and full responsibility” for obstructing peace.
They also warned that Israelโs refusal “directly threatens to derail extensive efforts” being led by Trump.
Israelโs ruling Likud Party responded by accusing Arab countries of seeking to weaken Netanyahu ahead of the election.
“The Arab countries want to bring down the prime minister”, the party said.
The involvement of the United Arab Emirates carries particular significance. Abu Dhabi normalised relations with Israel five years ago, creating broader economic and strategic ties.
Netanyahu has frequently described those relations as one of his major achievements.
Israel Rejects Key Elements of the US Plan
Netanyahu has remained opposed to the US-backed proposal despite assurances regarding Israeli military positions in Gaza.
Nickolay Mladenov, the Board of Peaceโs high representative for Gaza, reportedly assured Israel that its forces would not need to withdraw until Hamas completed disarmament.
Initially, the Board of Peace had proposed a phased Israeli withdrawal alongside Hamas disarmament.
However, Netanyahu has continued to reject the approach, leaving major differences between Israel and the planโs supporters.
The dispute over disarmament and Israeli military withdrawal remains one of the biggest obstacles to implementation.
Israeli Strikes Continue in Gaza
Meanwhile, violence has continued in Gaza despite diplomatic efforts surrounding the peace proposal.
Israel resumed airstrikes following a period of relative calm after Trump promoted the plan. However, the October ceasefire had never completely stopped violence across the Gaza Strip.
Several people were injured on Sunday when Israeli aircraft targeted a house west of Nuseirat, according to Gazaโs civil defence agency.
Mahmoud Bassal, the agencyโs spokesman, said the strike caused injuries. The organisation operates as a rescue service under Hamas.
The Israeli military said it had responded to a threat from Islamic Jihad militants. It also said efforts were made to reduce the risk of civilian casualties.
“The terrorists advanced terror attacks and were struck in precise aerial strikes to remove the threat,” the Israeli military said.
Elsewhere, several people were wounded after Israeli forces opened fire on tents housing displaced people west of Khan Yunis.
The Gaza civil defence agency also reported that the body of a child, Suhail Shallouf, was recovered. It said he had been killed by Israeli fire on Saturday.
Gaza Death Toll Continues to Rise
According to figures from Gazaโs health ministry, Israeli military operations have killed at least 1,262 Palestinians since the ceasefire began on October 10.
The ministry operates under Hamas, while the United Nations considers its figures reliable. The Israeli army, meanwhile, has reported five deaths among its ranks during the same period.
The continuing violence adds further urgency to the diplomatic efforts surrounding the Gaza peace plan. However, major disagreements over Hamas disarmament and Israeli troop withdrawals remain unresolved.
Kushnerโs meeting with Hamas therefore comes at a critical stage. The discussions could help determine whether the proposed roadmap moves toward implementation or faces another setback.
