Investigations allege civilians were deliberately targeted during April attack in southern Lebanon
BEIRUT: Three leading rights organisations have concluded that an Israeli airstrike in southern Lebanon, which killed Lebanese journalist Amal Khalil and injured freelance camerawoman Zeinab Faraj earlier this year, may amount to a war crime under international humanitarian law.
In separate investigations released on Thursday, Human Rights Watch (HRW), Amnesty International and the Lebanese legal advocacy group The Legal Agenda said the April 22 strike in the village of Al Tiri appeared to have deliberately targeted civilians. The organisations called for an independent and transparent investigation into the incident.
According to the reports, Khalil, a 42-year-old correspondent for Lebanese newspaper Al-Akhbar, and Faraj sought shelter inside a nearby building after an earlier Israeli strike hit a vehicle travelling ahead of them. Shortly afterward, another strike hit the building, killing Khalil and injuring Faraj. Lebanese authorities also accused Israeli forces of delaying rescue operations while Khalil remained trapped beneath the rubble.
Rights organisations demand accountability
Human Rights Watch stated that the attack appeared to include deliberate strikes against civilians and civilian infrastructure, which could constitute war crimes. Similarly, Amnesty International described the incident as a direct attack on civilians and said available evidence suggested the Israeli military either knew or should have known that the two journalists were not combatants.
The Legal Agenda reached a similar conclusion, stating that its investigation found evidence of grave violations of international humanitarian law. The organisations noted that Israeli surveillance drones were reportedly operating over the area during the attack.
Israeli military rejects allegations
The Israeli military said it had targeted a vehicle that allegedly departed from a Hezbollah military facility before striking the building where those inside had reportedly taken shelter. It denied obstructing rescue operations and said the incident underwent a preliminary review, adding that it regretted any harm caused to journalists.
According to the Committee to Protect Journalists, 15 journalists and media workers have been killed in Lebanon since October 2023 during cross-border hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah. Rights groups argued that the continued lack of accountability for attacks on journalists risks encouraging further violations and renewed threats against civilians working in conflict zones.
