ISLAMABAD: The capital administration on Friday banned all types of gatherings and activities for two weeks and declared high alert in the city for 48 hours in wake of upcoming local government elections.
The notification issued from the office of Deputy Commissioner Irfan Nawaz Memon read “In light of recent advisories/threat alerts issued by the law enforcement agencies and today’s attack on police, the security of Islamabad has been beefed up to obviate the threats within the jurisdiction of capital which can disrupt peace and tranquility causing damage to public life and property. However, the likelihood of such activities cannot be ruled out in coming days.”
LG Polls and the Terrorism Threat
In view of the prevailing situation, the DC Islamabad imposed a ban on all kinds of public gatherings. Corner meetings and congregations are prohibited especially in the wake of the upcoming local government elections. The order came into force with immediate effect and shall remain in force for two weeks.
The security in federal capital territory is on high alert. And a crackdown launched against vehicles with applied-for and unauthorized registration plates.
Patrolling teams are deploy in the city. And directives for pickets include to take strict action against those carrying and displaying weapons and conduct scrutiny of identification documents of people and vehicles. While police stations are to check and ensure the registration of maids, house servants and tenants.
Checking and inspection of guest houses, hotels, motels and inns began. While combing of wooded areas, slums and nullahs also started.
Following the recent wave of terrorism and Friday’s suicide bombing in the federal capital territory, the government directed LEAs to ensure their own security as well. The government advisory advised them to ensure using bulletproof jackets, security vehicles and vantage points.
The federal government had already directed the concerned authorities across the country to take precautionary measures. The advisory suggests militants may accelerate their activities in coming days to avenge the killing of their commanders.
Following the suicide bombing in the capital level of security remains high alert in the twin cities.
Earlier, amid reports of continued infiltration of the outlawed TTP in bordering areas and the interior of KP, the federal government directed the chief secretaries of all provinces, AJK and G-B and the chief commissioner of Islamabad to take appropriate security measures to avoid any untoward incident.
Heightened Threat Alert
Following the Bannu incident and terrorist activities the Punjab police chief issued a guideline to all divisional police heads. He directed to ensure strengthened security on the eve of Quaid-i-Azam’s birthday, Christmas and New Year.
According to the IGP’s guidelines, law enforcement agencies were on top of the spectrum of threats by terrorist groups. “Hence all precautionary measures must be ensured for target hardening. The guidelines advised to LEAs include ensuring scattered deployment, use of vantage points and use of bulletproof jackets.
Regional Police Officer (RPO) Nasir Mehmood Satti, in a statement, said “the security level is on high alert”. He advised DPOs of Attock, Jhelum and Chakwal and CPO Rawalpindi to ensure foolproof security especially around churches. As well as at the exit and entry points of high public density.
The RPO directed to closely monitor the suspicious persons and vehicles at special checkpoints and accelerate search and combing operations. He said police at the checkposts should ensure checking according to the proposed SOPs. He added that security of property is the top priority.
The CPO Rawalpindi also held a video link meeting with the SP security, SPs, DSPs and SHOs. He issued directives to review security. He directed the police to ensure security of important installations, worship places, hospitals and public gatherings.