- Govt considering opening PM’s promised varsity in G-5
The government is considering operationalizing a university in the Sir Syed Memorial Building in G-5 instead of the Prime Minister’s House as a stop-gap arrangement to honor the promise made by Prime Minister Imran Khan in his inaugural speech.
- Hamza negates Maryam’s stance on extension voting
Giving credence to reports of differences in the House of Sharif, opposition leader in the Punjab Assembly Hamza Shehbaz says the issue of voting for the extension in the tenure of the incumbent Chief of the Army Chief is not ambiguous as it was the decision of the leadership.
- Use of mobile phones while driving to be included in list of serious offences
After much deliberation in the ministries of law and interior, the traffic police have now decided to include the use of mobile phones while driving in the list of serious offences.
- Sharifs bought UK flats with motorway money, alleges Fawad
Minister for Information and Broadcasting Chaudhry Fawad Hussain on Sunday said the Sharif family had purchased Avenfield flats in London after committing massive corruption in the Lahore-Islamabad Motorway project.
- Weekly Covid-19 positivity rate declines in Islamabad
While 108 more people were found infected with Covid-19 in the federal capital on Sunday, the positivity ratio decreased by 1.6pc in the last one week.
- Experts warn against mix-and-match of Covid vaccine
While the demand for booster dose is increasing across the globe, speakers during a conference held at the Health Services Academy (HSA) have warned that mix-and-match of Covid-19 vaccine can be dangerous.
- NTDC probe team says access to record being denied
An eight-member inquiry team of the National Transmission and Despatch Company (NTDC) probing the Chashma-Bannu transmission line’s tower collapse is being denied access to the record allegedly by those protecting the officers said to be involved in the corruption that led to the incident.
- Xi warns of ‘grim’ situation with Taiwan
The situation in the Taiwan Strait is “complex and grim”, Chinese President Xi Jinping wrote in a congratulatory letter on Sunday to the newly elected leader of Taiwan’s main opposition party, who has pledged to renew talks with Beijing.
- Russia in sync with China, US, Pakistan on Taliban: Lavrov
Russia, China, Pakistan and the United States are working together to ensure that Afghanistan’s new Taliban rulers keep their promises, especially to form a genuinely representative government and prevent extremism from spreading, Russia’s foreign minister said on Saturday.
- US allows humanitarian assistance, Quad reaches understanding on Taliban
The US Treasury Department has issued licenses to facilitate humanitarian aid and financial assistance to the people of Afghanistan, while upholding sanctions on the Taliban.
- So near yet so far: Iceland almost gets women-majority house
Iceland briefly celebrated electing a women-majority parliament on Sunday, before a recount produced a result just short of that landmark for gender parity in the North Atlantic island nation.
- Swiss voters say big ‘yes’ to same-sex marriage
Nearly two-thirds of Swiss voters backed the government’s plan to introduce same-sex marriage in a referendum held on Sunday, with campaigners calling it a historic day for gay rights in Switzerland.
- Hamilton reclaims top spot with historic 100th F1 triumph
Lewis Hamilton became the first Formula One driver to win 100 grands prix with a dramatic rain-assisted victory in Russia that sent the Mercedes driver two points clear in the championship on Sunday.
- Govt to announce national sports policy soon, says minister
The federal government is devising a comprehensive national sports policy, which will be announced soon in order to resolve pending issues in a befitting manner and ensure promotion of sports in the country.
- Jimenez strikes on return as Wolves extend Saints’ misery
Wolverhampton Wanderers beat Southampton 1-0 at St Mary’s Stadium on Sunday, extending the Saints’ winless run to six Premier League games, after striker Raul Jimenez scored his first goal in nearly a year.
- Usyk dethrones Joshua to claim world heavyweight titles
Ukraine’s Oleksandr Usyk dethroned world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua in his own backyard with a stunning display to earn a unanimous points decision in front of a sell-out crowd at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Saturday.
- The dollar index fell 11 points to 93.21
- The price of a barrel of crude oil has risen by 94 cents
- Karachi: The price of crude oil is 74 74.92 per barrel
- Gold Price rose to 7.60 to 17 1,759.30 an ounce
- The 100 Index is up 101 points at 45,174
- The dollar rose 17 paise to Rs 169.25 on the Interbank Foreign Exchange
- Interbank dollar exchange rate is Rs. 169.55
- The dollar has risen 47 points on the interbank market
- With 1,757 new COVID-19 cases, 31 deaths recorded in the last 24 hours
- 50,651 COVID-19 cases are active in the country
- The total death tally of Covid-19 stands at 27,597
- 1,756 people recovered from Coronavirus in the last 24 hours
- The positivity rate of Covid-19 is recorded at 3.6%
- Over 231.8 million are infected globally
- More than 4.7 million have died due to the virus
- Sydney’s Covid-19 lockdown to end sooner for the vaccinated
- Islamabad, AJK and GB collectively report 128 Covid cases
- Punjab records 687 virus cases, 6 deaths
- 187 coronavirus cases detected in KP, 12 in Balochistan
- Pakistan reports 1,765 Covid recoveries
- Covid-19 pandemic cut life expectancy by most since World War II: study
- Fourth member of Brazil’s delegation to UN tests positive for Covid-19
- Australia’s Sydney set to unveil freedom roadmap as more Covid-19 curbs eased