- Ban on TikTok won’t be lifted until ‘unlawful’ content removed: PTA
The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) informed the Peshawar High Court on Wednesday that it won’t lift the ban on TikTok until unlawful contents were removed from the popular video-sharing mobile app and a mechanism for ‘proactive content moderation’ was introduced in the country by its operator.
- Quorum in National Assembly becomes chronic problem
The quorum issue took a chronic form as the Wednesday’s sitting of the National Assembly was adjourned for a fourth time in as many days as the ruling Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) again failed to maintain the presence of the required number of its 86 legislators in the 342-member house after a protest walkout by the opposition.
- SC gives Sindh a year to resettle those hit by demolitions in Karachi
The Supreme Court took the Sindh government to task on Wednesday after the provincial law officer contended that they have no funds to relocate people displaced by demolitions around three nullahs of the city and directed Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah to rehabilitate them within a year.
- Court to expedite Shehbaz’s defamation suit against Imran
A sessions court on Wednesday resolved to expeditiously decide a long pending defamation suit by Leader of Opposition in National Assembly Shehbaz Sharif against Prime Minister Imran Khan.
- CAA threatens to directly collect airport fees from travelers
The heavily defaulting national airline is facing more turmoil as the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has threatened to directly collect all applicable airport fees from domestic and international passengers from next month.
- SC orders demolition of 15-storey Nasla Tower in Karachi after one month
The Supreme Court on Wednesday dismissed a review petition against its earlier order to demolish a 15-storey building, known as Nasla Tower, after hearing the counsel at length.
- WHO team meets Taliban in Kabul, says health system faces collapse
Not only the adolescents in the age group of 15 to 17 years have responded poorly to the recent government initiative to vaccinate them against Covid-19 but a large number of adults also seem reluctant to get their second jab as health experts find behavioural issues rather than government slackness behind their slow response.
- Macron, Biden agree to soothe tensions after submarine row
US President Joe Biden and French counterpart Emmanuel Macron spoke for the first time on Wednesday since a fierce row erupted over the sale of submarines to Australia, with both leaders agreeing to ease tensions.
- Trump sues niece, NYT over Pulitzer-winning tax story
Former US president Donald Trump on Tuesday filed a $100 million lawsuit against his estranged niece Mary Trump and The New York Times, alleging they engaged in “an insidious plot” to obtain his tax returns for the paper’s Pulitzer Prize-winning investigation of his finances.
- US, Iran edge closer to resuming nuclear talks
Despite sharp posturing at the UN General Assembly, Washington and Tehran are expected to reach a compromise to resume talks on resurrecting the Iran nuclear deal, analysts say.
- Air pollution kills 7m a year, says WHO
The World Health Organisation strengthened its air quality guidelines on Wednesday, saying air pollution was now one of the biggest environmental threats to human health, causing seven million premature deaths a year.
- With 2,357 new COVID-19 cases, 58 deaths recorded in the last 24 hours
- 61,558 COVID-19 cases are active in the country
- The total death tally of Covid-19 stands at 27,432
- 2,688 people recovered from Coronavirus in the last 24 hours
- The positivity rate of Covid-19 is recorded at 4.8%
- Over 229 million are infected globally
- More than 4.6 million have died due to the virus
- New Zealand’s Ardern says lockdowns can end with high vaccine uptake
- READ: Is the Covid-19 Delta variant worse for kids?
- Islamabad, AJK and GB collectively report 219 Covid cases, 4 deaths
- Punjab reports 1,002 coronavirus cases, 20 deaths
- 336 Covid cases detected in KP, 16 in Balochistan
- Pakistan records 2,688 Covid recoveries
- Police in Canada’s Quebec province seek man for punching nurse over wife’s Covid-19 shot
- Australia’s Melbourne faces more anti-lockdown protests as daily cases hit pandemic high
- US FDA clears Pfizer Covid-19 booster for older and at-risk Americans