The US Congress has passed a bill called the “Malala Yousafzai Scholarship Act” on January 1, 2021. the bill passed by the House of Representatives in March 2020 which was adopted by the US Senate by voice vote early this year.
The Scholarship Act to be overseen by the US Agency for International Development (USAID) has been sent to President Donald Trump to be signed to turn it into law.
The bill needs USAID to award at least 50% of scholarships under a Pakistan-based higher education scholarship program to Pakistani women, from 2020 to 2022. The award is to be granted across a range of academic disciplines and in accordance with existing eligibility criteria.
As per the clauses of the bill, USAID is also required to consult with and leverage investments by the Pakistani private sector and Pakistani diaspora in the US to expand and improve the access to education programs in Pakistan.
The agency has to brief Congress annually on the number of scholarships awarded under the program, including breakdowns by gender, discipline, and degree type.
Our Latest Updates
- PAF training Aircraft crash lands in Mardan, pilot safe
- multinational Maritime Exercise AMAN-23 held at PNS Jauhar
- PM Shehbaz inducts seven more MNAs as SAPM/Ministers of State, expands cabinet to 85
- LeBron breaks Kareem’s score, an NBA’s all time high !
- Islamabad court gives one-day transit remand of sheikh rasheed to murree police