Democrats are rushing to take away the presidency from outgoing President Donald Trump and the efforts are gaining momentum as Republicans break ranks to support Trump’s impeachment.
The House of Representatives‘ third most senior Republican, Liz Cheney, said she would vote to impeach Mr. Trump because of the last week’s riots at the Capitol, for which the president took no responsibility later.
The House voted on Wednesday to charge Mr. Trump with inciting insurrection, with Democrats saying the president encouraged his supporters to storm the Capitol building at a speech before the riot. House voted in favor of ousting Donald Trump and urged the Vice President to invoke the 25th amendment.
However, the vice-president refused to oust the outgoing president but the refusal does not impede the House from seeking a vote for Trump’s impeachment. Therefore, House will head towards impeachment anyway.
Mr. Trump could become the first US president ever to be impeached twice. Outgoing President Donald Trump became the third president to be impeached in December 2019 over charges of breaking the law when asked Ukraine to investigate Mr. Biden in the election.
Trump will be succeeded by Joe Biden on 20th January.
Our Latest Updates
- Ricky Ponting in hospital after heart scare
- Pakistan 17-0 by lunch chasing England’s 657 on the 2nd day of the First Test match
- Saudi Arabia extends $3 billion deposits tenure, says SBP
- PIA Flight Takes Off Leaving Passengers’ Luggage at Dubai Airport
- Pakistan’s exports decline for the Third consecutive month of FY23