Covid outbreak in Tokyo is severe and is expected to ‘explode’ in the New Year’s holiday season as millions of people travel in the upcoming days, the city government said on Wednesday.
The capital recorded 944 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, only a little under the cases, 949 recorded on Saturday. Medical experts warned that the measures to curb the outbreak are required or else the city could soon see over 1,000 new patients a day.
Tokyo was at a critical juncture, with the cold winter weather forecast and highly contagious variant strains of the coronavirus from Britain and South Africa already detected in Japan, said Koike
“Please emphasize life over fun,” Governor Yuriko Koike told a news conference, calling on people to stay at home as much as possible over the holiday.
Yuriko also added,
“The situation is extremely severe, we are facing up to a huge wave of virus cases we have not seen before.”
“The number of cases could explode at any time. Any one of us could become infected at any time … If we do not stamp this out now, we will be facing a much worse situation.” said Koike.
About 3,400 people had died in Japan from the coronavirus in total as of late Tuesday, out of 227,390 cases, NHK public television revealed.
Our Latest Updates
- Adam Britton, renowned crocodile expert raped dozens of dogs in ‘torture room’
- 25 Pakistani cricketers offered ‘momentous’ three-year central contracts
- Imrani Gang in Rajanpur ready to Surrender before Police
- State Bank reports massive growth in digital transactions in FY23
- Minallah questions the hiring process of judges