Former Australia batsman David Warner has been convicted and fined A$1,500 for drink-driving in Sydney. A local court issued the decision on Tuesday following his arrest in April.
Warner pleaded guilty after failing a breath test during the Easter weekend. He had been driving his family home after attending a social function in Sydneyโs eastern suburbs.
The 39-year-old recorded a blood-alcohol level more than twice the legal limit. The incident occurred while children were also travelling in the vehicle.
Warner Tried to Swap Seats During Police Check
Waverley Local Court heard that Warner stopped his vehicle after noticing a roadside breath-testing operation. He then attempted to swap seats with a female passenger.
Judge Clare Farnan acknowledged that Warner was unlikely to repeat the offence. However, she stressed the broader dangers associated with drink-driving.
“I accept Mr Warner is unlikely to re-offend,” Judge Clare Farnan told the court in comments published by Australian media.
“(But) regrettably, drink-driving is still a significant factor in many crashes in New South Wales.”
Farnan also said the presence of children in the vehicle aggravated the offence. The court subsequently convicted Warner and imposed the A$1,500 fine.
Former Cricketer Must Install Alcohol Interlock
Warner will also have to install an alcohol interlock device in his vehicle. The device will prevent the car from starting if it detects alcohol in his system.
The former cricketer left the court without speaking to reporters. A large group of media representatives waited outside following the hearing.
Warnerโs management did not immediately provide a comment when contacted.
Before the court delivered its decision, Warnerโs lawyer argued that his client had already faced additional consequences because of media coverage.
“Commercial opportunities (are) being affected,” Australian media quoted Awais Ahmad as saying.
Warnerโs Cricket and Broadcasting Roles Continue
Warner remains involved in Australian cricket through several professional roles. He works as a commentator for Fox Sports Australia and recently covered the Australia-Bangladesh Test in Darwin.
He also serves as captain of Big Bash League side Sydney Thunder. The team forms part of a New South Wales government campaign aimed at discouraging drink-driving.
Cricket NSW did not comment on Warnerโs position as Thunder captain when contacted about the case.
“Our organisation is a strong advocate of safe driving, including avoiding drink driving,” Cricket NSW said in a statement.
“We continue to take this incident seriously, including educating all players on the importance of safe driving.”
Warner remains one of Australiaโs most decorated cricketers. He played 112 Test matches and more than 250 limited-overs internationals during his international career.
The court ruling now adds a legal consequence to an incident that has also drawn attention to the responsibilities of high-profile sports figures. Warnerโs ongoing roles in broadcasting and domestic cricket will continue alongside the required driving restrictions.
