TikTok and ByteDance Settle Major US Children’s Privacy Case
TikTok and its Chinese parent company ByteDance have agreed to pay $400 million to settle a major US government lawsuit involving allegations that the platform violated children’s online privacy laws.
The US Justice Department announced the settlement on Friday, August 21, 2026. It resolves litigation filed in 2024 over alleged violations of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, commonly known as COPPA.
Federal authorities accused TikTok and ByteDance of collecting personal information from children under 13 without obtaining the required parental consent.
The government also alleged that the companies failed to properly protect information belonging to younger users.
The settlement does not represent a court finding that TikTok was legally liable for the allegations. The Justice Department specifically said the claims being resolved remained allegations and there had been no determination of liability.
Under the agreement, TikTok will pay $300 million immediately.
Another $100 million will become payable when a court enters an order vacating a previous consent decree involving Musical.ly, TikTok’s predecessor.
The Justice Department described the agreement as one of the largest recoveries ever secured in a case involving COPPA.
Associate Attorney General Stanley Woodward said protecting children online remained a major government priority.
He said companies handling children’s personal information must meet their legal responsibilities.
Case Followed TikTok’s Earlier $5.7 Million Privacy Settlement
The latest case has roots in an earlier dispute involving Musical.ly.
In 2019, Musical.ly, which later became TikTok, agreed to pay $5.7 million to settle Federal Trade Commission allegations involving children’s privacy.
The FTC alleged that Musical.ly knew large numbers of young children were using its platform but failed to obtain parental consent before collecting certain personal information.
That information included names, email addresses and other account details belonging to users under 13.
The 2019 settlement also required the company to delete certain information collected from children and comply with COPPA requirements.
The Justice Department returned to court in 2024 with new allegations that TikTok and ByteDance had failed to fully comply with children’s privacy protections and the earlier court order.
COPPA requires websites and online services directed toward children to follow strict rules when collecting information from users under 13.
In many circumstances, companies must obtain verifiable parental consent before collecting personal information from children.
The law is designed to give parents more control over how online platforms gather and use their children’s data.
The Justice Department said the new $400 million settlement avoids the uncertainty and delay associated with lengthy litigation while securing stronger protections for American families.
TikTok Says It Has Strengthened Age Controls and Child Safety Systems
The US government acknowledged that TikTok has undergone major changes since the lawsuit was filed in 2024.
These include changes to the company’s ownership structure, management, compliance operations and privacy practices.
The Justice Department said TikTok had introduced extensive measures intended to strengthen safeguards for younger users, improve age-related controls and expand parental oversight.
TikTok requires users to provide a date of birth when creating an account.
The company has also said it uses age-detection and moderation systems to identify users who may be under 13 but entered a false date of birth.
TikTok has teams trained to review suspected underage accounts and says it removes large numbers of accounts belonging to children who do not meet the platform’s minimum age requirement.
The settlement comes during a period of significant change for TikTok’s operations in the United States.
In January 2026, ByteDance agreed to establish a majority American-owned joint venture designed to secure US user data and prevent the platform from being banned in the country. TikTok is used by more than 200 million Americans.
The $400 million agreement now resolves one of the most significant federal privacy cases facing the platform.
It also reinforces growing regulatory pressure on social media companies to establish stronger protections for young users.
