Sindh Government Asks SHC Chief Justice to Establish Independent Commission
The Sindh government has decided to request the Chief Justice of the Sindh High Court to establish a judicial commission to review the investigation into the death of 25-year-old Karachi businessman Mir Raza Ali.
The decision was announced on Sunday, August 23, after Mir Razaโs parents approached Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah and raised serious concerns about the handling of their sonโs case.
A spokesperson for the chief minister said the familyโs letter had been received with compassion and treated with the โutmost seriousnessโ.
Following a review of the concerns raised by the family, the provincial government decided that an independent judicial inquiry should examine whether the investigation had been conducted fairly, impartially and in accordance with the law.
The commission has not yet formally been constituted. The Sindh government will first approach the chief justice of the Sindh High Court for its establishment.
Once formed, the commission would be tasked with reviewing the entire investigation, identifying possible shortcomings and examining evidence or investigative angles that may have been ignored or require further scrutiny.
The government said the purpose of the inquiry would be to ensure transparency and determine whether any failures occurred during the police and medico-legal handling of the case.
Commission Could Examine Police, Medical Officers and Alleged Evidence Manipulation
The proposed judicial commission would have a broad mandate.
According to the chief ministerโs spokesperson, it would examine whether any police officer, medico-legal officer or other government official was responsible for negligence, dereliction of duty or professional misconduct.
It would also be empowered to examine allegations involving the suppression, manipulation or mishandling of evidence, as well as any unlawful act, omission or potential cover-up.
Where necessary, the commission could recommend additional investigation, fresh forensic analysis and legal or departmental action against officials found responsible for wrongdoing.
The proposed body would operate under the Sindh Tribunals of Inquiry Ordinance, 1969.
This would give it powers similar to those of a civil court.
It could summon witnesses, require their attendance, record testimony under oath and order the production of documents, records and other relevant material.
All government departments, institutions and officials have been directed to cooperate fully with the inquiry.
The Sindh Home Department would provide secretariat and administrative support to the commission.
The government wants the judicial commission to submit its findings and recommendations within 30 days of its constitution.
However, the inquiry period could be extended if additional time is considered necessary to complete a fair and comprehensive investigation.
The Sindh government said it hoped an independent judicial review would address the familyโs concerns, establish accountability where required and strengthen public confidence in the rule of law.
Mir Razaโs Family Opposes Commission and Calls for JIT
However, the family has opposed the latest decision.
Family lawyer Jibran Nasir told Geo News that they intend to approach the Sindh High Court on Monday against the formation of the judicial commission.
Nasir said the family instead wants a Joint Investigation Team, or JIT, to investigate the murder.
He said he had earlier written to Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah outlining the familyโs concerns over the ongoing investigation.
The disagreement is significant because this is not the first time the Sindh government has proposed a judicial commission in the case.
The provincial government initially announced plans for a judicial inquiry earlier this month.
That decision was later deferred after the family expressed confidence in a newly constituted police investigation team and clarified that it had not sought a judicial commission at the time.
The family subsequently became dissatisfied with the progress of the investigation.
On August 19, Mir Razaโs parents, Mir Hussain and Mariam Hussain, wrote a detailed letter to the chief minister through Jibran Nasir asking him to directly supervise the murder investigation.
They also raised concerns about the previous investigation team and sought action over alleged failures in the handling of the case.
The governmentโs latest decision to seek a judicial commission followed that letter.
Second Post-Mortem Changed Direction of Investigation
Mir Raza Ali, an IBA graduate and businessman, disappeared on July 28.
His body was discovered the following day in bushes in Karachiโs Gulistan-e-Jauhar with a gunshot wound.
Police initially explored the possibility that he had died by suicide, while his family maintained from the beginning that he had been kidnapped and murdered.
The case changed significantly after Mir Razaโs body was exhumed and a second post-mortem examination was conducted.
The fresh examination found multiple injuries and established that he had been shot in the back, undermining the earlier suicide theory.
A murder charge was subsequently added to the FIR.
The initial medico-legal examination had already become the subject of controversy, leading to questions over whether important procedures and evidence had been properly handled.
The Sindh government restored the original medical board after the family objected to changes made to its composition, and the body was eventually exhumed on August 8.
A new police investigation team was also formed, while the investigation was transferred from Ferozabad Police Station to Zaman Town police.
Investigators Continue Reviewing Forensic and Digital Evidence
Sindh Police has said the current investigation remains active.
According to its first formal statement on the case, investigators are reviewing medical findings, evidence gathered by the earlier investigation team and other technical material.
Police said certain aspects of chemical analysis reports still require clarification from relevant institutions.
Investigators believe resolving those issues could lead to important progress in the case.
The probe is continuing on the basis of technical, digital, forensic and other evidence, police said.
In another development reported on Sunday, investigators took possession of the mobile phone of the medico-legal officer who conducted Mir Razaโs first post-mortem examination for forensic analysis.
The investigation team has also sought further explanations regarding the medical reports as it attempts to reconstruct what happened and examine earlier handling of the evidence.
The latest dispute over whether the case should be examined by a judicial commission or investigated through a JIT adds another significant chapter to an already closely watched case.
For now, the Sindh government intends to seek an independent judicial review, while Mir Razaโs family is preparing to challenge that course and continue pressing for a JIT.
