- CDA’s plot auction receives impressive response from investors
Capital Development Authority (CDA), on the opening day of a two-day auction, received an overwhelming response from investors as it auctioned 13 commercial plots worth over Rs20 billion on Wednesday.
- Country may face security challenges in next few months, says president
President Dr. Arif Alvi on Wednesday said there was a need to remain vigilant as the country might face security challenges in the next few months due to emerging situations in the neighboring country
- Booster shot must with Chinese jabs for visitors: Saudi Arabia
As Saudi Arabia allows the entry of fully vaccinated travelers if they get a booster dose of a recognized vaccine in the wake of a United Arab Emirates’ decision to lift a ban on transit flights, Pakistan on Wednesday made another record of per day Covid-19 vaccination.
- Wapda hopeful about early start of Dasu project work
The Water and Power Development Authority has decided to involve the Chinese ambassador to convince the Gezhouba Group Company for the resumption of work on the Dasu hydropower project.
- Commissioner cancels land acquisition for Ring Road project
Commissioner Syed Gulzar Hussain Shah on Wednesday cancelled the land acquisition in Rawalpindi and Attock for the construction of the Rawalpindi Ring Road project and asked the district administration to form teams for recovery of Rs2.45 billion paid to the landowners.
- Sugar shortage hits Chitral
Chitral has been facing an acute shortage of sugar due to a tussle between the district administration and the dealers over its pricing.
- Kashmir remains disputed, UN reminds India
Two days after India assumed the presidency of the UN Security Council, the spokesperson for the secretary-general has clarified that the UN position on the Jammu and Kashmir dispute has not changed.
- US wants Pakistan to keep Afghan border open for DPs
The United States wants Pakistan to keep its borders with Afghanistan open for Afghan refugees, a demand that could strain already tense relations between the two countries.
“So, in a place like Pakistan, it’ll be important that their borders remain open,” said a senior State Department official while briefing journalists on the new US refugee admission program for Afghan nationals.
- UN attention drawn to unlawful Indian steps in held Kashmir
Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi on Wednesday wrote letters to the UN Security Council and the UN Secretary-General, drawing their attention to “unlawful steps” being taken by India after the annexation of the disputed region of Kashmir to strengthen its “colonial hold” on the territory.
These actions include changes to the demographic structure and electoral boundaries in the occupied territory for “further marginalization of Kashmiri Muslims” and “suppressing their demand for freedom”.
- WHO urges rich states to stop booster shots for fairness sake
The WHO called on Wednesday for a moratorium on Covid-19 vaccine booster shots as China tightened overseas travel curbs after recording its highest number of infections in months, while Tokyo reported the Olympic Games’ first cluster.
- Lightning kills 16 at wedding in Bangladesh
Several lightning bolts hit a Bangladesh wedding party within a few seconds on Wednesday, killing 16 people and injuring the groom, officials said.
- Talakhadze breaks records to conquer super heavyweight class
Lasha Talakhadze pumped everyone up with three world records on the final day of the Olympic competition in weightlifting.
The defending champion from Georgia lifted 223kg in the snatch and 265kg in the clean and jerk for a total of 488kg on Wednesday. All three figures broke his own world records in the over-109kg men’s superheavyweight category.
Ali Davoudi of Iran was left in second place by the vast margin of 47kg. Syria’s Man Asaad took the bronze with 424 kg.
- With 5,661 new COVID-19 cases, 60 deaths recorded in the last 24 hours
- 77,409 COVID-19 cases are active in the country
- The total death tally of Covid-19 stands at 23,635
- 6,787 people recovered from Coronavirus in the last 24 hours
- The positivity rate of Covid-19 is recorded at 9.0%
- Over 199.5 million are infected globally
- More than 4.2 million have died due to the virus
- Over 170 million recovered from COVID-19
- AJK reports highest number of Covid cases so far this year
- Sindh reports 2,734 cases, 29 deaths
- KP records 623 new Covid cases in a two-month high
- Punjab reports highest number of daily cases since May 19
- Pakistan records more than 6,500 daily coronavirus recoveries
- US making plans to reopen to fully vaccinated foreigners as China curbs travel
- Australia’s Sydney suffers worst pandemic day as lockdown nears six weeks