Japan has criticised the United States over sanctions against two International Criminal Court officials. Tokyo described Washington’s decision as “very unfortunate” on Wednesday.
The rare criticism targeted Japan’s ally over measures against ICC President Tomoko Akane. The United States also sanctioned Senegalese prosecutor Abdoulaye Seye.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced the sanctions against both officials. Seye served on the prosecution team seeking an arrest warrant for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Tokyo Defends International Criminal Court
Japan’s Foreign Ministry reaffirmed its support for the International Criminal Court. It said Japan consistently supports the court’s efforts to prosecute serious international crimes.
The ministry stressed the ICC’s role as a permanent international criminal court. Japan joined the institution in 2007, five years after its establishment.
The Hague-based court prosecutes cases involving war crimes, genocide, and crimes against humanity. However, Washington has repeatedly opposed the ICC’s actions involving American interests.
US Sanctions Target ICC Officials
The latest US measures freeze American assets belonging to sanctioned individuals. They also largely restrict their access to the US financial system.
The State Department previously said no diplomatic option would remain off-limits. Washington said it seeks to dismantle what it considers the ICC’s threat to Americans.
The sanctions have now created an unusual disagreement between Washington and Tokyo. Both countries maintain close diplomatic and strategic relations.
However, Japan’s support for the ICC has placed it at odds with Washington. The latest dispute highlights growing tensions over the court’s international role.
