Tehran reportedly examines targets in southeastern Europe and undersea communications infrastructure as tensions with Washington deepen
TEHRAN: Iran has considered striking US military assets in Europe if President Donald Trump further escalates the conflict, the Financial Times reported Wednesday, citing people close to the Iranian government.
According to the report, Iranian forces have assessed potential US-linked targets in southeastern Europe, including Bulgaria, where authorities recently approved the use of Bezmer air base by American aerial refuelling aircraft.
Iran has also reportedly considered potential targets in Greek-administered Southern Cyprus. However, the report did not indicate that Tehran had made a final decision to carry out attacks in Europe.
Tehran Studies Options Beyond Middle East
Meanwhile, Iranian forces have reportedly examined the possibility of targeting subsea fibre-optic cables running through the Strait of Hormuz if hostilities intensify further.
One source cited by the Financial Times said Tehran was preparing options for expanding the geographical scope of the conflict if Washington launched another major offensive against Iranian infrastructure.
Iranian military officials have previously warned that Tehran could regard any foreign military facility used to support attacks against Iranian territory as a legitimate target.
Furthermore, military experts cited in the report said Iran possesses missiles capable of reaching areas of southern and southeastern Europe, although their accuracy and effectiveness could decline over longer distances.
Diplomatic Deadlock Raises Escalation Risks
The reported contingency planning comes as diplomatic efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and restart negotiations between Washington and Tehran remain stalled.
Trump said Tuesday that no negotiations or conversations with Iran were underway or scheduled.
Iran and the United States signed a memorandum of understanding in June designed to halt fighting and create a pathway toward a broader settlement. However, the arrangement subsequently unravelled amid disputes over implementation and mutual accusations of violations.
Consequently, renewed hostilities and the continuing disagreement over the Strait of Hormuz have sharply reduced prospects for an immediate diplomatic breakthrough.
The reported Iranian planning highlights growing concerns that another major escalation could potentially expand the conflict beyond the Middle East and directly affect European security.
