KARACHI: Chief Minister of Sindh Syed Murad Ali Shah today announced a compensation of Rs 10 million for each family that lost a loved one in the Gul Plaza tragedy in Karachi. Mr Shah also pledged to rebuild the destroyed building.
Addressing a press conference on Monday, he described the incident as a major tragedy and said authorities may need to demolish the entire structure because of severe damage. He confirmed that the distribution of financial assistance will begin tomorrow.
Meanwhile, firefighters and rescue teams continue efforts to enter the building from three different points. However, officials said the fire has not been fully extinguished, and dense smoke still hampers operations. The chief minister stressed that the government will focus on correcting systemic weaknesses and preventing similar incidents in the future.
Murad Ali Shah announced that an inquiry will take place under the supervision of the Karachi commissioner, adding that investigators will identify causes and highlight lapses. He clarified that the probe will not target individuals unless evidence of negligence or sabotage emerges.
Authorities have so far recovered at least 15 bodies, while the number of missing has risen to 73, according to the government help desk. Officials briefed the chief minister that fatalities could reach 50 to 60. The multi-storey building housed more than 1,200 shops, leaving hundreds of traders without livelihoods overnight.
Government vows rehabilitation of traders and long-term safety reforms
Earlier, CM Murad chaired a high-level meeting with provincial ministers, Karachi Mayor Murtaza Wahab, and senior officials to review the situation. He directed authorities to clear debris immediately and to ensure that affected traders receive alternative shops so they can restart businesses. He stated that rehabilitation will focus not only on reconstruction but also on restoring livelihoods.
The government formed a fact-finding and compensation committee to recommend recovery measures in consultation with traders. The chief minister also ordered a forensic investigation to determine the fireโs origin. He confirmed that President Asif Ali Zardari and PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto have remained in contact and urged urgent support for victims.
About 60 firefighters, supported by 16 fire tenders and heavy machinery, struggled to overcome blaze for over 24 hours. The fire started on Saturday and continued till Monday afternoon, rescue workers said.

