- Satellite images confirm ‘tampering’ with E-11 nullah’s route in Islamabad
A private housing society in alleged connivance with Capital Development Authority (CDA) and Islamabad administration not only reduced the size of the natural stream in E-11/2 but also altered the natural flow of the waterway, which caused urban flooding after the heavy rain on Wednesday.
- Punjab hospitals face pressure of Covid fourth wave
The fourth wave of Covid-19 is quite challenging as the bed occupancy rate is gradually increasing in the state-run hospitals of the province.
With 596 new positive cases reported all over the province during the last 24 hours (Thursday), the bed occupancy in intensive care units and high dependency units in the government hospitals of Punjab increased to 16 and 17 percent respectively due to complications the Covid patients are complaining.
- Fuel removed from ship stranded at Karachi’s Sea View
There was a lot of activity seen around MV Heng Tong 77, the container ship that ended up at Seaview beach after having run aground on July 21 as it was successfully defueled during a careful and strategic two-day de-bunkering operation on Thursday.
- Polio vaccination drive to begin in 68 districts on Aug 2
The Sub-National Immunisation Days (SNIDs) campaign will kick off on Aug 2 during which more than 23.6 million children in 68 districts of all four provinces, as well as Islamabad, will be administered anti-polio drops.
- Delta variant driving virus surge in Middle East, says WHO
The global health body said the highly transmissible strain, first detected in India, has been recorded in 15 out of the 22 countries and territories of the region under its purview, stretching from Morocco to Pakistan.
“The circulation of the Delta variant is fuelling the surge in Covid-19 cases and deaths in an increasing number of countries in WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean Region,”
“Most of the new cases and hospitalized patients are unvaccinated people. We are now in the fourth wave of Covid-19 across the region,” said Ahmed al-Mandhari, director of WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean region.
- Pakistan, Bahrain sign MoU to promote bilateral businesses
Pakistan and Bahrain have signed a memorandum of understanding to promote businesses between the two countries by working jointly towards economic growth and greater business harmony.
The memorandum of understanding was signed between the Board of Investment (BoI) and the Bahraini Economic Development Board at the end of the second session of the Joint Ministerial Commission’s meeting in Manama.
The MoU will remain enforced for two years with the option to be renewed subject to mutual approval by both parties, according to details announced by the Board of Investment on Thursday.
Chief Executive Officer of Bahrain Economic Development Khalid Ebrahim Humaidan and BoI Director-General Jamil Ahmed Qureshi signed the memorandum on behalf of their respective governments.
- US wants Pakistan to play its vital role, says Blinken
Secretary Blinken’s remarks, in an interview to various international television channels, come amid a key visit to Washington by Pakistan’s National Security Adviser Moeed Yusuf and the Director-General of Inter-Services Intelligence, Lt. Gen. Faiz Hameed.
“Pakistan has a vital role to play in using its influence with the Taliban to do whatever it can to make sure that the Taliban does not seek to take the country by force,” the top US diplomat said. “And it does have influence, and it does have a role to play, and we hope that it plays it,” he added.
- Malaysian PM under pressure to quit after stern royal rebuke
Malaysia’s king on Thursday rebuked Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin’s government for misleading parliament over the status of coronavirus emergency measures, sparking renewed calls for the embattled leader to resign.
- Big day for Dressel and Chinese in pool, Lee in gymnastics
Caeleb Dressel got his first individual gold medal, the Chinese women put together a record-setting relay and American Sunisa Lee won the women’s all-around gymnastics gold.
- India, Britain and Dutch progress to hockey quarter-finals
India reached the quarter-finals of the men’s Olympic hockey tournament on Thursday thanks to an inspired 3-1 win over Rio gold medallists Argentina, while the Netherlands and Britain also progressed.
- With 4,537 new COVID-19 cases, 86 deaths recorded in the last 24 hours
- 62,723 COVID-19 cases are active in the country
- The total death tally of Covid-19 stands at 23,295
- 1,489 people recovered from Coronavirus in the last 24 hours
- The positivity rate of Covid-19 is recorded at 7.7%
- Over 196.6 million are infected globally
- More than 4.1 million have died due to the virus
- Over 170 million recovered from COVID-19
- 867,226 vaccines administered across Pakistan on July 29: NCOC
- GB’s Covid tally crosses 8,000
- Covid deaths surpass 11,000 mark in Punjab
- 414 Covid cases detected in KP, 143 in Balochistan
- Pakistan records nearly 1,500 Covid recoveries
- Activists allege Myanmar leaders are ‘weaponing’ Covid-19
- Biden pushes cash reward to get vaccinated, new rules for federal workers
- Japan proposes adding four regions to Covid-19 emergency
- Sydney under strict new lockdown rules as cases soar