- Record 778,000 people vaccinated in single day
While Pakistan reported more than 4,100 cases after a gap of over two months and PML-N leader Maryam Nawaz became the latest victim of Covid-19, a record number of people i.e. 778,000 were vaccinated in a single day.
Vice-Chancellor of the University of Health Sciences Dr. Javed Akram suggested that the pace of vaccination should be expedited to avoid the chances of the creation of vaccine-resistant viruses. He warned that the situation would deteriorate in the coming days.
Meanwhile, the highest positivity rate was reported in Karachi i.e. 22.6pc followed by Skardu, 19.88pc, and Gilgit, 18.42pc.
- Minister seeks report from DC
Minister for Planning, Development, and Special Initiatives Asad Umar has directed the deputy commissioner to determine reasons behind the damage to life and property in the wake of slightly above normal rainfall in E-11.
The federal minister, who is also the MNA from this area of the capital, has also directed the ICT administration and Capital Development Authority (CDA) to demolish illegal structures in E-11.
The minister called an emergency meeting, which was attended by Special Assistant to the Prime Minister Ali Nawaz Awan, the commissioner, deputy commissioner, and CDA chairman Amer Ahmad Ali.
- 2 children die as rain batters KP
With the rain lashing different parts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, two children were killed and three people, including a woman, were injured in the Mardan district in separate incidents on Wednesday.
The Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) issued a warning of flooding in Budhni nullah of Peshawar and Kalpani nullah of Mardan and glacial lake outburst floods in the Chitral region during the current monsoon spell.
- Senate body clears corporal punishment bill
Senate Standing Committee on Human Rights, however, made some amendments to the bill.
The bill protects children against corporal punishment by any person, at the workplace, in all types of educational institutions, including formal, non-formal, and religious both public and private, child care institutions including foster care and rehabilitation centers as well as juvenile justice system.
Except for the two guests, invited by the standing committee, in their opinion in light of religion, the entire committee approved the bill.
- Nepra Okays 21 paisa cut in Discos tariff
The National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (Nepra) on Wednesday finalized about 21 paisa per unit reduction in electricity rates for ex-Wapda distribution companies (Discos) for a month under the monthly fuel cost adjustment (FCA
- Passports please: Afghans queue up for escape lifeline
With the Taliban making huge advances in the countryside as foreign forces wind up their withdrawal, many Afghans — those with the means, at least — are looking for a way out.
- Afghanistan will become ‘pariah state’, fears US
“An Afghanistan that does not respect the rights of its people, an Afghanistan that commits atrocities against its own people would become a pariah state,” said US Secretary of State Antony Blinken
- Russia beefs up Tajik base, warns of IS presence in Afghanistan
Russia said it was beefing up the combat capabilities of its military base in Tajikistan and training local soldiers, as Moscow warned that fighters of the militant Islamic State group were moving into neighboring Afghanistan.
- Fiji retain rugby sevens title with emphatic win over New Zealand
Fiji maintained its dominance of the Olympic Rugby Sevens on Wednesday with a comprehensive 27-12 gold medal win over New Zealand at the Tokyo Stadium, retaining the title they won in Rio five years ago.
- With 4,497 new COVID-19 cases, 76 deaths recorded in the last 24 hours
- 59,761 COVID-19 cases are active in the country
- The total death tally of Covid-19 stands at 23,209
- 1,612 people recovered from Coronavirus in the last 24 hours
- The positivity rate of Covid-19 is recorded at 7.5%
- Over 195.2 million are infected globally
- More than 4.1 million have died due to the virus
- Over 170 million recovered from COVID-19
- Pakistan records 1,612 Covid recoveries
- Sydney posts record daily Covid-19 cases, police powers extended to enforce lockdown
- Cambodia to impose Covid-19 lockdowns in areas bordering Thailand
- Covid-19 cases going up in over 90 US states: CDC