Structural Damage Sparks Safety Concerns in High-Rise Buildings
In the aftermath of the devastating Gul Plaza fire, the Sindh Building Control Authority (SBCA) has declared the nearby Rimpa Plaza unsafe. The decision follows an official inspection that revealed serious structural damage caused by falling debris from the gutted Gul Plaza building. Authorities warned that the damaged structure poses a grave threat to human life and property.
According to SBCA officials, parts of Gul Plaza collapsed during the fire and struck the ramp area of Rimpa Plaza. The impact damaged several structural columns. After a detailed assessment, the authority concluded that the affected portions of Rimpa Plaza are dangerous. Notices have been issued to the plazaโs management and shop owners, directing them to immediately stop using the unsafe areas.
The SBCA has ordered the removal of all compromised structural elements. Repair and strengthening work must be carried out under the supervision of a qualified structural engineer. Officials stressed that no part of the affected building can be occupied until it is officially declared safe. The authority also warned of legal action under the Sindh Building Control Ordinance, 1979, if instructions are ignored.
Death Toll Rises as Search Operations Continue
The Gul Plaza fire has claimed at least 28 lives so far. Rescue teams remain on site as dozens of people are still missing. According to authorities, 81 individuals have been reported unaccounted for. The fire, described as Karachiโs worst in over a decade, broke out late Saturday night in the historic commercial district.
Gul Plaza housed around 1,200 shops and covered an area larger than a football field. Flames raged for more than 24 hours before firefighters managed to control the blaze. Thick smoke and collapsing structures severely hampered rescue efforts.
Fire Officer Zafar Khan confirmed that the open area of the basement has been completely searched. No bodies were found there. However, the collapsed section of the basement is still being examined. Search operations on the second and third floors have also been completed.
Deputy Commissioner South Javed Khoso visited the site to oversee relief activities. He assured families that all belongings recovered from the site are being handled responsibly. He also revealed that two dumpers carrying debris went missing but said they would be traced soon.
Mayor Says 70% of Rescue Work Completed
Karachi Mayor Murtaza Wahab visited Gul Plaza late Tuesday night. He said nearly two-thirds of the building has been cleared. No additional bodies have been recovered so far. He confirmed that about 70% of the rescue operation has been completed.
The mayor stated that rescue teams are drilling carefully in collapsed sections. He said there is still a possibility of finding more victims. Wahab added that the final number of confirmed fatalities would be announced after the identification process is complete.
Police Surgeon Dr Summaiya Syed said 28 bodies have been shifted to Civil Hospital. DNA samples from 50 families have been collected for identification. Rescue sources confirmed that 11 bodies have been identified so far.
The mayor also announced the start of citywide fire safety audits by the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation. Authorities have contacted the Association of Builders and Developers of Pakistan, urging immediate compliance with fire safety regulations.

