KATHMANDU: A Norwegian climber hoping to summit Everest confirmed on Thursday that he has tested positive for Covid-19, in a blow to Nepalโs hopes for a bumper mountaineering season on the worldโs highest peak.
The pandemic wiped out last yearโs season but Nepal has eased quarantine rules in an effort to attract more climbers despite the difficulties of treating them if they contract the virus.
โMy diagnosis is Covid-19,โ Erlend Ness said in a Facebook message.

โIโm doing ok now… The hospital is taking care (of me).โ Ness was evacuated from the slopes by helicopter and taken to a hospital in the Nepali capital Kathยญmandu after spending time at Everest base camp.
Norwegian broadcaster NRK, which interviewed him, reported that a sherpa in his party had also tested positive.
โI really hope that none of the others get infected with corona high up in the mountains. It is impossible to evacuate people with a helicopter when theyโre above 8,000 metres,โ Ness told NRK.
Breathing is already difficult at high altitudes so any outbreak of disease among climbers presents major health risks.

โThe plan was to get fast high up in the mountains to make sure that we wouldnโt get infected… Iโve been unlucky and I could have done more by myself when it comes to sanitary precautions,โ Ness added.
One hospital in Kathยญmandu confirmed it had taken in patients from Everest who had contracted coronavirus but could not give a number.

โI canโt share the details but some evacuated from Everest have tested positive,โ Prativa Pandey, the medical director at Kathยญmanduโs CIWEC Hospital, said.
But Mira Acharya, a spokesperson for Nepalโs tourism department, said it had so far not received any reports of Covid-19 among climbers.

