Bangladesh Government Declines India Travel for National Team
Bangladesh has once again refused to play its T20 World Cup 2026 matches in India. The decision was announced by the Bangladesh government on Thursday. Authorities cited serious safety concerns for the national cricket team. The move comes despite the International Cricket Council declining to change match venues.
Bangladeshโs Sports Adviser Asif Nazrul addressed the issue after meeting national team players in Dhaka. He stated that the government does not consider India a safe destination for the players. He emphasized that the concerns are genuine and based on risk assessments. According to him, player safety remains the top priority for the government.
The announcement has added uncertainty to Bangladeshโs participation in the tournament. The ICC has already released the official schedule. Bangladeshโs matches are currently allocated to venues in India. However, the Bangladesh government has refused to approve travel under the current plan.
Officials clarified that this decision is not political. They stressed that it is purely about security and welfare. The government believes sending players under unsafe conditions is unacceptable.
ICC Stands by Schedule Despite Objections
The International Cricket Council responded on Wednesday by confirming its stance. The ICC said it will not revise the published T20 World Cup 2026 schedule. It also rejected Bangladeshโs request to relocate its matches to Sri Lanka.
The global cricket body stated that all security arrangements meet international standards. According to the ICC, host nations are responsible for ensuring player safety. The ICC believes India has the infrastructure to host the tournament safely.
Despite this, Bangladesh officials remain unconvinced. Asif Nazrul said the ICC has been informed of their position. He added that Bangladesh hopes the governing body will reconsider. He described the dialogue as ongoing rather than closed.
Cricket analysts believe the situation could create scheduling challenges. Any late venue changes would impact broadcasters and other teams. However, Bangladesh appears firm on its position for now.
Player Safety Remains Central to Bangladeshโs Position
After the meeting with players, Nazrul confirmed that the team supports the governmentโs stance. Players reportedly shared concerns about personal security and crowd-related risks. The government believes these fears must be respected.
Bangladesh has previously raised similar objections for events hosted in India. This is not the first time security has been cited as a concern. Officials argue that ignoring these warnings could put players at risk.
Nazrul said the government remains open to discussion. He noted that Bangladesh wants to participate in the T20 World Cup. However, participation will only happen under safe conditions. Alternative venues remain Bangladeshโs preferred solution.
The issue now rests with the ICC. The governing body must decide whether to accommodate Bangladeshโs concerns. Failure to reach a compromise could affect tournament planning. It may also raise questions about player safety policies in global cricket events.
For now, Bangladesh has made its position clear. The team will not travel to India under the current arrangement. The government says safety cannot be compromised for any tournament. The coming months will be crucial in determining how the standoff is resolved.

