Novak Djokovic has responded strongly to growing speculation about his fitness at the Australian Open. The 24-time Grand Slam champion addressed reports suggesting he suffered a serious neck injury. He described the claims as exaggerated and misleading.
The controversy began during practice sessions in Melbourne. Media reports highlighted what were described as “worrying” scenes. Fans grew concerned about Djokovic’s condition ahead of the tournament.
Djokovic, now 38, has made it clear that the situation was taken out of context. He insisted his preparation has not been disrupted in any significant way.
Short Practice Session Sparks Injury Speculation
The injury rumors started on Wednesday, January 14, 2026. Djokovic ended an on-court practice session after just 12 minutes. Reports claimed he was experiencing neck pain and required treatment.
Several outlets suggested the session could not be resumed. This led to speculation about a potential injury setback. Concerns intensified when Djokovic later received treatment after his first-round match on Sunday, January 18, 2026.
According to media reports, Djokovic trained earlier on Rod Laver Arena. He was seen hitting with Daniil Medvedev. Later in the day, he moved to Court 10 for another training session around 5 pm.
It was during this second session that he briefly consulted his physiotherapist, Miljan Amanovic. Photos of Djokovic receiving neck treatment quickly circulated online. These images fueled rumors of a serious problem.
Djokovic Says Full Training Was Ignored
Djokovic later addressed the reports in an interview with Serbian outlet Blic. He expressed frustration with how the situation was portrayed. He said important details were ignored.
He explained that he had already completed two hours of intense training before the short session. He also completed a full gym workout afterward. The neck treatment, he said, lasted only about 15 minutes.
Djokovic stressed that the issue did not end his training day. He said the media focused only on a single moment. According to him, this created unnecessary panic.
“I see on the internet that the problem is that Miljan came to massage my neck,” Djokovic said. He added that people are always looking for drama. He questioned why positive stories are often overlooked.
Djokovic said the reporting turned a routine recovery moment into a major storyline. He called it chaos created by selective coverage.
Focus Remains on Australian Open Title Push
Despite the noise, Djokovic remains focused on the Australian Open. He is seeded fourth in the tournament. He is also the most successful player in the event’s history.
Djokovic has won the Australian Open 10 times. His most recent title came in 2023. He continues to be a strong contender despite his age.
The Serbian star said he feels ready to compete. He dismissed suggestions that his preparation has been compromised. His comments were aimed at calming fans and shutting down speculation.
Djokovic believes fitness management is part of elite sport. He said brief treatments and recovery sessions are normal. He emphasized that his body is being managed carefully.
As the tournament progresses, Djokovic hopes his performance will speak louder than rumors. He remains determined to chase another Grand Slam title and prove his critics wrong.

