The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has announced that the national cricket team will not travel to India for the T20 World Cup 2026. The decision was taken amid growing concerns over player safety, dignity, and recent developments affecting Bangladeshi cricketers in India. The tournament is scheduled to be co-hosted by India and Sri Lanka, starting on February 7.
The issue gained momentum after Bangladeshi fast bowler Mustafizur Rahman was released by his Indian Premier League franchise following rising political and diplomatic tensions between the two countries. The move sparked widespread debate in Bangladeshโs cricketing and political circles.
BCB Cites Security Risks and Seeks ICC Intervention
In an official statement, the BCB said it reviewed the situation in detail over the past 24 hours. The board expressed deep concern over the overall circumstances surrounding Bangladeshโs participation in matches scheduled in India. Based on these concerns, the board decided not to send the national team to India for the World Cup fixtures.
The BCB highlighted safety and security risks for players, officials, and support staff. It said the current environment does not provide adequate assurances for the team. As a result, the board has formally written to the International Cricket Council (ICC).
The BCB requested that all of Bangladeshโs T20 World Cup matches be shifted to venues outside India. Sri Lanka was suggested as a preferred alternative. The board said it is awaiting an urgent response from the ICC.
BCB President Aminul Islam Bulbul stated that the dignity and safety of Bangladeshi cricketers remain the top priority. He added that the board would take decisions carefully and responsibly, keeping playersโ well-being in mind.
Government Backs Decision, Criticizes Treatment of Players
Bangladeshโs Youth and Sports Adviser Asif Nazrul strongly supported the BCBโs stance. He said Bangladesh would not accept any insult to its cricket or cricketers. Nazrul linked the decision directly to what he described as extreme communal policies of Indiaโs cricket authorities.
He said if a Bangladeshi cricketer cannot play in India despite having a valid contract, the national team cannot feel safe traveling there. Nazrul confirmed that he instructed the BCB to formally approach the ICC.
He also announced that he had requested Bangladeshโs Information and Broadcasting Adviser to block the broadcast of the Indian Premier League in Bangladesh. This move would further escalate the cricketing fallout between the two nations.
Political Tensions Add to Cricketing Dispute
Relations between India and Bangladesh have remained strained since a mass uprising in Dhaka in 2024 removed former prime minister Sheikh Hasina. India later accused Bangladesh of failing to protect minorities. Bangladeshโs interim leader, Nobel Peace Prize winner Muhammad Yunus, rejected those claims.
Although diplomatic ties had shown signs of improvement recently, the cricket controversy has reignited tensions. Indiaโs foreign minister visited Dhaka last week, and the BCB recently confirmed India would tour Bangladesh in September for white-ball matches.
Under current World Cup scheduling, Bangladesh is set to play all four group matches in India. Pakistan, meanwhile, will play its matches in Sri Lanka under a neutral venue arrangement.
T20 World Cup Squad Announced Amid Uncertainty
Despite the controversy, the BCB announced its 15-member T20 World Cup squad. Litton Das will captain the team. Mustafizur Rahman and Taskin Ahmed will lead the pace attack, supported by Tanzim Hasan, Shoriful Islam, and Mohammad Saifuddin.
Taskin returns after missing a recent series due to league commitments. Spinners include Rishad Hossain, Nasum Ahmed, and Mahedi Hasan. Batter Jaker Ali was dropped following poor recent form.
As the ICC considers Bangladeshโs request, uncertainty remains over match venues. The decision could have lasting implications for regional cricket and future tournaments.

