The Toshakhana-II verdict against former prime minister Imran Khan will be challenged in the Islamabad High Court. His legal team confirmed the move on Saturday.
Senior lawyer Salman Safdar said he was instructed to pursue all available legal remedies. He spoke outside Adiala Jail alongside Imran Khanโs sister, Aleema Khan.
Defence Raises Procedural Objections
The defence has alleged serious procedural flaws in the case. Salman Safdar said the trial followed the same pattern seen in earlier cases.
He claimed the defence team received late notice of the hearing. According to him, they were informed late Friday night about a Saturday morning session.
As a result, preparation time was extremely limited. Travel was also impossible due to fog-related motorway closures.
Allegations of Pre-Written Verdict
Safdar alleged the judge arrived with a pre-written 59-page verdict. He said the ruling was announced despite the absence of defence counsel.
Instead of hearing final arguments, the verdict was delivered immediately. This, he said, raised serious concerns about due process.
He further stated that both Imran Khan and Bushra Bibi were present in court during the ruling.
Reaction Inside the Courtroom
According to the defence, Imran Khan showed no surprise after hearing the sentence. He reportedly smiled upon learning about the 17-year imprisonment.
Safdar said Imran Khan was more surprised by the absence of defence lawyers during the announcement. He questioned how a verdict could be issued without final arguments.
Reports suggest the judge asked Imran Khan to approach the rostrum multiple times. However, he remained seated and continued speaking to his wife.
After the judge exited the courtroom, Imran Khan reportedly asked whether the verdict had been announced. Upon confirmation, he smiled calmly.
Jail Conditions Highlighted
The defence also raised concerns about prison conditions. Safdar said Imran Khan and Bushra Bibi were being held under difficult circumstances.
He stressed that these conditions add to concerns surrounding the handling of the case.
Government Defends Court Decision
Meanwhile, Information Minister Attaullah Tarar defended the verdict. He said the decision was based on justice and legal procedure.
Tarar clarified that the sentence would not be implemented immediately. He said the 17-year term would begin after completion of the ยฃ190 million case sentence.
According to him, the current 14-year sentence must conclude first. He reiterated that the judiciary acted independently and lawfully.
What Comes Next
The legal challenge in the Islamabad High Court is expected soon. The case is likely to draw significant political and legal attention.
As proceedings continue, the verdict remains a major development in Pakistanโs political landscape.

