US President Joe Biden ordered aides to find answers to the origin of the virus that causes COVID-19, saying on Wednesday (Thursday AEST) that US intelligence agencies are pursuing rival theories potentially including the possibility of a laboratory accident in China.
Intelligence agencies are considering two likely scenarios but still lack strong confidence in their conclusions and are hotly debating which is more probable, Mr. Biden said.
The conclusions were detailed in a report to Mr. Biden, who asked his team in March to investigate whether the novel coronavirus โemerged from human contact with an infected animal or from a laboratory accidentโ, according to the Presidentโs written statement.
Mr. Bidenโs unusual public disclosure about private and inconclusive US intelligence assessments revealed a debate raging within his administration over where the novel coronavirus originated. It also lent credence to a theory that the virus may have emerged from a Chinese research laboratory instead of in nature.
Chinaโs embassy in the United States said on Thursday that politicizing the issue would hamper investigations into the origins of COVID-19.
China supports โa comprehensive study of all early cases of COVID-19 found worldwide and a thorough investigation into some secretive bases and biological laboratories all over the worldโ, the embassy said in remarks attributed to a spokesperson, posted on its website.
The pandemic has killed more than 3 million people worldwide and battered the global economy because of lockdowns and other restrictions to slow its spread. The origin of the virus remains contested among experts. The first known cases emerged in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in December 2019.
Insufficient Chinese co-operation
In a report issued in March and written jointly with Chinese scientists, a World Health Organization-led team that spent four weeks in and around Wuhan in January and February said the virus had probably been transmitted from bats to humans through another animal, and that โintroduction through a laboratory incident was considered to be an extremely unlikely pathway.โ
Washingtonโs frustration has mounted in recent weeks over what it sees as insufficient co-operation from China in the international investigation.
โI have now asked the Intelligence Community to redouble their efforts to collect and analyses information that could bring us closer to a definitive conclusion, and to report back to me in 90 days,โ Mr Biden said.
โAs part of that report, I have asked for areas of further inquiry that may be required, including specific questions for China.โ
US agencies have been pursuing COVID-19โs origins since the government first recognized the virus as a serious health risk in early 2020.
Earlier this week, US government sources said a still-classified US intelligence report circulated during former President Donald Trumpโs administration alleged that three researchers at Chinaโs Wuhan Institute of Virology became so ill in November 2019 that they sought hospital care
Focus on Wuhan institute
The source of that early intelligence or how reliable US agencies rate it is not known. It remains unclear whether the afflicted researchers were hospitalized or what their symptoms were, one of the sources said.
Intelligence committees of both the US Senate and House of Representatives are investigating how US agencies have reported on and gathered information about COVID-19โs origin, how it spread and how governments have responded to it.
A report issued by House intelligence committee Republicans earlier this month focused particularly on the Wuhan Institute of Virology.
The Republican report asserted that โsignificant circumstantial evidence raises serious concerns that the COVID-19 outbreak may have been a leakโ from the institute, suggested the Wuhan lab was involved in biological weapons research, and that Beijing had attempted to โcover upโ the virusโ origins.
Washington has called for the WHO to open a second phase to its investigation on COVID-19โs origin.
On Wednesday (Thursday AEST) in Geneva, WHO emergency director Mike Ryan said the agency expected to provide an update on its proposed next steps โin the coming weeksโ.
Chinaโs delegation to the WHO said this week it was calling on โall partiesโ to โadopt an open and transparent attitudeโ to co-operate with the WHOโs attempts to trace the virusโs origin.

