Spain has voiced clear support for adding Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) to the European Union’s list of terrorist organisations, reinforcing its backing for sweeping sanctions against Tehran over an intensifying domestic crackdown.
Speaking Thursday ahead of a Foreign Affairs Council meeting in Brussels, Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares said Madrid’s stance was long-standing and unequivocal. He stressed that Spain supports all current sanctions on Iran, including measures targeting the IRGC.
“Spain supports all the sanctions on Iran at this moment,” Albares said, adding that the designation of the Revolutionary Guard was an integral part of that position.
Furthermore, he argued that the situation inside Iran left little room for hesitation. Albares pointed to what he described as blind and indiscriminate repression, arbitrary detentions, and a deeply troubling situation for Iranian women, insisting that Europe had a responsibility to respond.
Protests, Arrests, and Warnings
Albares said Spain had from the outset demanded respect for freedom of expression and peaceful assembly for all Iranians. He praised the courage of protesters and warned that arbitrary arrests must end immediately.
In addition, he said any executions carried out by Iranian authorities would represent a clear red line for both Spain and the European Union.
Iran has experienced repeated waves of unrest since late December, when protests erupted at Tehran’s Grand Bazaar over the rapid depreciation of the rial and worsening economic conditions. Demonstrations later spread to multiple cities nationwide.
According to the US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency, at least 6,126 people have been killed during the protests. In contrast, 41,880 others have been arrested within the first 30 days of nationwide demonstrations.
Meanwhile, Iranian officials have accused the United States and Israel of backing armed rioters to justify foreign intervention. They warned that any US attack would trigger a swift and comprehensive response.
US President Donald Trump previously threatened strong action if protesters were killed, but later praised Tehran for reportedly cancelling hundreds of planned executions.

