ISLAMABAD: The people of Sindh and Balochistan may not get the fruits of Prime Minister Imran Khanโsย new initiativeย to provide some relief amid unprecedented inflation through Ehsaas Rashan subsidy as both the provinces have refused to contribute their 65 per cent share to the Rs120 billion programme for six months.
Under the Ehsaas Rashan programme, poor households will get Rs1,000 each subsidy per month. The proposed federal governmentโs contribution to the subsidy is Rs350 while provincial share stands at Rs650.
Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Poverty Alleviation Dr Sania Nishtar told mediaย that in the first 48 hours of the opening of theย programmeโs portalย on Nov 9, more than 136 million hits (applications) were received. She said that out of total 136 million applicants, over one million had been registered as eligible for the programme.

Under the programme, three consumer items โ pulses, wheat flour and edible oil/ghee โ will be available on subsidised rates for the registered persons at utility stores, super stores and thousands of designated general/kiryana stores across the country. A subsidy of Rs22 will be given on flour, Rs105 on ghee and Rs55 on pulses.
Sindh, Balochistan refuse to contribute their share to Rs120bn Ehsaas Rashan initiative
โSindh and Balochistan have refused to contribute to the programme after which people of both provinces will get only Rs350 subsidy (federal government share), and not the total subsidy of Rs1,000,โ Ms Nishtar said, adding that Punjab, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and Gilgit-Baltistan had agreed to bear Rs650 as share in the subsidy programme.

Balochistanโs refusal to share the subsidy programme is said to be quite shocking for the federal government which is facing โlack of confidenceโ of its allies and the oppositionโs threats to topple it owing to its โfaulty economic policiesโ.
In Balochistan, the ruling Balochistan Awami Party and the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf are coalition partners, while Sindh is being ruled by the Pakistan Peoples Party, one of the main opposition parties in the country. Under the Rs120bn subsidy programme, the provinces have to share Rs85.45bn โ Punjab Rs41.76bn, KP Rs15.30bn, Sindh Rs21.46bn, Balochistan Rs5.14bn, AJK Rs1.11bn and GB Rs5bn.

When contacted, Sindh governmentโs spokesman Saeed Ghani said he was not aware of the provincial governmentโs stance on the issue. โNot sharing in the programme might have been decided by the chief minister and the decision has so far not been conveyed to the lower level,โ he added.
Balochistan governmentโs former spokesman Liaquat Ali Shehwani said he did not know the provincial governmentโs stance on the matter, adding that since the change of government in the province, he had not been conveyed weather or not he was still the spokesman.

