PMD PRESS RELEASE: Pakistan is expected to experience rain/thunderstorms for the next four days, said Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD).
Met Office informed that a westerly wave is likely to enter western parts of the country from the 28th, likely to grip upper & central parts on the 29th of March, and likely to persist in upper parts of the country till the 31st of March. Under the influence of this weather system:
- Rain-wind/thunderstorm with isolated heavy falls and hailstorm is expected in Nokkundi, Dalbandin, Quetta, Zhob, Barkhan, Harnai, Qila Saifullah, Qillah Abdullah, Chaman, Pishin, Sibbi, Loralai, Kalat, Khuzdar, Lasbella, Panjgur, Awaran, Ketch from 28th to 31st March 2023 while in Dera Ghazi Khan, Rajanpur, Bhakkar, Layyah, Multan, Sahiwal, Okara, Pakpattan, Khanewal, Bahawalnagar, Bahawalpur, Rahim Yar khan, Sukkur, Larkana, Jacobabad, Shaheed Benazirabad, Mirpurkhas, Hyderabad, & Karachi on 29th/30th March.
- Rain-wind/thunderstorm (snowfall over the high mountains) with few moderate to isolated heavy falls with hailstorm is expected in Kashmir (Neelum valley, Muzaffarabad, Poonch, Hattian, Bagh, Haveli, Sudhanoti, Kotli, Bhimber, Mirpur), Gilgit-Baltistan (Diamir, Astore, Ghizer, Skardu, Hunza, Gilgit, Ghanche, Shigar), Peshawar, Charsadda, Nowshera, Swabi, Bajaur, Kurram, Waziristan, Kohat, Karak, Bannu, Dera Ismail Khan, Chitral, Dir, Swat, Mansehra, Buner, Kohistan, Shangla, Haripur and Abbottabad, Islamabad, Murree, Galliyat, Rawalpindi, Attock, Chakwal, Jhelum, Khushab, Mianwali, Sargodha, Gujranwala, Gujrat, Hafizabad, Mandi Bahauddin, Sialkot, Narowal, Lahore, Faisalabad, Toba Tek Singh, Jhang, Kasur, Sheikhupura and Nankana Sahib from 28th (Evening/night) to 31st March with occasional gaps.
- Another westerly wave is expected to enter the western & upper parts of the country on 01st April & likely to persist over Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, upper Punjab, Islamabad, Kashmir & Gilgit Baltistan till 04th April.
Possible Impacts of rain and Thunderstorms:
- Strong winds & hailstorms may cause damage to loose infrastructure and standing crops (particularly wheat crops) in the country. Farmers should irrigate the crops keeping in view the PMD forecast.
- Heavy Rains may cause Flash Floods in Quetta, Chaman, Pishin, Barkhan, Musakhel, Jaffarabad, Kohlu, Zhob, Loralai & Hill torrents of D.G Khan on the 28th (night) and 29th March while in Dir, Swat, Kohistan, Nowshera, Mardan, Waziristan, Bajur, Islamabad/Rawalpindi and Kashmir and Urban flooding in Peshawar, Islamabad/Rawalpindi & Lahore from 29th to 31st March.
- Landslides may occur in hilly areas of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Gilgit-Baltistan, Kashmir, Murree, and Galliyat during the forecast period.
- Day temperatures are likely to fall significantly during the spell.
- Tourists are advised to remain more cautious during the forecast period.