Five India-Backed Militants Killed in Bannu IBO
Security forces killed five India-backed terrorists during an intelligence-based operation in Bannu district. The operation was confirmed by Inter-Services Public Relations on Saturday.
According to ISPR, the militants belonged to โFitna al-Khwarij.โ The operation was launched after credible intelligence reports. Officials received information about the presence of terrorists, including a suicide bomber, in the area.
The intelligence-based operation (IBO) was conducted in Bannu, located in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. Security forces moved swiftly to neutralize the threat.
During the operation, a vehicle-borne suicide bomber attempted to carry out a major attack. He was intercepted by the leading group of the security convoy. Forces successfully foiled his plan to target civilians and law enforcement personnel in Bannu City.
The military said the timely action prevented a major catastrophe. The suicide bomber failed to reach his intended target.
An intense exchange of fire followed. Security forces engaged the militants at close range. Five terrorists were killed during the gun battle.
However, in a desperate move, the militants rammed an explosive-laden vehicle into one of the security vehicles. The blast caused heavy damage and casualties.
Lt Colonel Shahzada Gul Faraz Embraces Martyrdom
Two security personnel embraced martyrdom in the attack. They included Lieutenant Colonel Shahzada Gul Faraz and Sepoy Karamat Shah.
Lt Col Shahzada Gul Faraz was 43 years old. He hailed from Mansehra district. He was known for his courageous leadership and frontline command. ISPR described him as a brave officer who led from the front.
Sepoy Karamat Shah was 28 years old. He belonged to Peshawar district. Both soldiers sacrificed their lives in the line of duty.
The military paid tribute to the martyrs. It said their sacrifices strengthen the nationโs resolve against terrorism.
ISPR also stated that the Afghan Taliban regime has failed to stop militants from using Afghan soil for attacks inside Pakistan. The statement noted that such incidents continue even during the holy month of Ramadan.
Pakistan vowed to continue operations against terrorists. The military said no restraint will be exercised against those responsible. Operations will continue regardless of their location.
Counter-Terrorism Operations Intensify Under Vision Azm-e-Istehkam
The Bannu IBO came days after a deadly terrorist attack in Bajaur district on February 17. In that attack, 11 security personnel embraced martyrdom. Security forces killed 12 militants in response.
Since the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan in 2021, cross-border terrorism has increased. The provinces of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan have seen the highest number of attacks.
In a press briefing on January 6, ISPR Director General Ahmed Sharif Chaudhry shared counter-terrorism statistics. He revealed that 75,175 intelligence-based operations were conducted across Pakistan in 2025.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa recorded 14,658 IBOs. Balochistan saw 58,778 operations. Another 1,739 operations were carried out in other parts of the country.
A total of 5,397 terrorist incidents were reported nationwide last year. Khyber Pakhtunkhwa accounted for 3,811 incidents. Balochistan recorded 1,557 incidents. Only 29 incidents occurred in the rest of Pakistan.
Security forces eliminated 2,597 terrorists during counter-terrorism operations in 2025. Ten major attacks targeted civilians and soft targets. Officials said all involved militants operating from Afghanistan.
The military reaffirmed its commitment under Vision Azm-e-Istehkam. It said the campaign against foreign-sponsored terrorism will continue at full pace. The sacrifices of brave soldiers will not go in vain.

