- Sindh govt eases Covid restrictions till Aug 31
Markets, business activities to continue till 8 pm. Indoor dining is banned, takeaway is allowed. Shrines, cinemas, parks to remain closed and Indoor cultural, religious gatherings disallowed.
- Almost one month since groundbreaking, work on 7th Avenue Interchange still not started
Construction of 7th Avenue Interchange is yet to commence as the Capital Development Authority (CDA) continues to complete post-bid formalities despite the passage of one month since the project’s groundbreaking.
- 3 Pakistani soldiers injured in blast, firing from across Afghan border
Three soldiers were wounded in a landmine explosion and firing from across the Afghan border in South Waziristan and North Waziristan tribal districts on Sunday.
- Weekly positivity ratio in Islamabad, Rawalpindi hits double figure
As many as 626 people got infected with Covid-19 in the capital and Rawalpindi on Sunday, with the weekly positivity rate in both districts reaching double figures. However, no casualty was reported.
Islamabad saw 400 people getting infected in a single day while Rawalpindi district reported 226.
According to the capital’s health department, 4,875 samples were collected on Saturday out of which 410 were found positive.
- Inquiry blames 20 PR officials for crash
Poor maintenance of a rail joint is the prime cause of two passenger trains crash near Dehrki in June last which left 67 people dead, says an inquiry conducted by the Federal Government Inspector of Railways (FGIR).
- Constable arrested on charges of sexually harassing students in AJK
A police constable, accused of sexually harassing two female students in Bagh district of Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK), was arrested on Sunday, a day after a first information report (FIR) was registered against him.
- Taliban seize two more Afghan provincial capitals in northern blitz
The Taliban captured two more provincial capitals on Sunday as they gained ground in their fight to take over Afghanistan’s cities after seizing much of the countryside in recent months.
- Saudi Arabia opens Umrah to vaccinated worshipers from abroad: SPA
Saudi Arabia will gradually begin receiving Umrah pilgrimage requests from abroad for vaccinated pilgrims starting August 9 after about a year and a half of not receiving overseas worshippers due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the state news agency, SPA, reported early on Sunday.
- UN Security Council condemns Dasu attack
The UN Security Council (UNSC) has condemned the July 14 terrorist attack in Dasu, reassuring Pakistan of its continued support in the fight against terrorism.
- Israel strikes Hamas sites in Gaza in response to fire balloons
Israeli aircraft bombed Hamas sites in the Gaza Strip on Saturday in response to incendiary balloons launched from the Palestinian enclave, Israel’s military said.
- Curtain falls on Tokyo Olympics
It began with a virus and a yearlong pause. It ended with a typhoon blowing through and, still, a virus. In between just about everything.
- US top medal table as pandemic-era Games close
Eliud Kipchoge produced a marathon masterclass and the United States edged China at the top of the Tokyo Olympics medals table as the curtain fell on the biggest sports event since the pandemic on Sunday.
- With 4,040 new COVID-19 cases, 53 deaths recorded in the last 24 hours
- 83,298 COVID-19 cases are active in the country
- The total death tally of Covid-19 stands at 23,918
- 2,765 people recovered from Coronavirus in the last 24 hours
- The positivity rate of Covid-19 is recorded at 7.5%
- Over 202.6 million are infected globally
- More than 4.2 million have died due to the virus
- Over 170 million recovered from COVID-19
- China reports more Covid-19 cases while some cities kick off new tests
- Canada begins allowing vaccinated US citizens to visit again
- KP reports 646 cases in three-month high
- Islamabad, AJK and GB collectively report 664 new cases
- Punjab reports more than 1,000 cases for third straight day
- Pakistan reports 2,765 Covid-19 recoveries
- Citizens don’t need to wait for SMS from 1166 for second vaccine dose: Faisal Sultan
- Tunisia vaccinates more than half a million people in a day
- South Korea opens Covid-19 vaccine reservations for all adults