Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

International

Saudi Arabia arrests another 207 in fresh crackdown against corrupts

Saudi nationals have long complained of rampant corruption in government and of public funds being squandered or misused by those in power.

Saudi Arabia announced the arrest of 207 employees across about a dozen government ministries in the latest sweep by an anti-corruption body empowered by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

The kingdom’s National Anti-Corruption Commission, known as “Nazaha”, announced the arrests late on Monday. Those detained were not named and it was unclear when the arrests were made.

The crown prince’s anti-corruption purge began in late 2017. It has helped him consolidate power and netted the government $106bn in assets.

Saudi nationals have long complained of rampant corruption in government and of public funds being squandered or misused by those in power.

The commission said more than 460 people were investigated in this latest round, and that as a result, 207 Saudi citizens and residents were detained on allegations of corruption, abuse of authority and fraud.

Those accused will be referred to prosecution, the commission said. They hail from the national guard and a range of ministries, including defence, interior and health and justice, among others.

In April, the commission said 176 people from across the public sector had similarly been detained for alleged corruption.

In late 2017, Prince Mohammed targeted more than 300 princes, public figures and businessmen who together symbolised the elite structure encircling the ruling Al Saud family and its vast patronage networks.

In an unprecedented fashion that year, his forces arrested the country’s most powerful figures and held them incommunicado at the opulent Ritz-Carlton hotel in Riyadh for weeks and even months.

Several were later transferred to prisons or other detention facilities amid reports of physical abuse.

While the kingdom never confirmed the names of those detained, they included billionaire Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal and Saudi construction tycoon Bakr bin Ladin.

Last year, two more high-ranking officials were removed from their posts and referred to trial.

They included Lieutenant General Fahad bin Turki bin Abdulaziz, a prince who oversaw Saudi operations in Yemen, and his son, Prince Abdulaziz bin Fahad bin Turki, who was deputy governor of Saudi Arabia’s Jouf region.

Javed Mahmood
Written By

I am an experienced writer, analyst, and author. My exposure in English journalism spans more than 28 years. In the past, I have been working with daily The Muslim (Lahore Bureau), daily Business Recorder (Lahore/Islamabad Bureaus), Daily Times, Islamabad, daily The Nation (Lahore and Karachi). With daily The Nation, I have served as Resident Editor, Karachi. Since 2009, I have been working as a Freelance Writer/Editor for American organizations.

Politics

ISLAMABAD: Mufti Saeed said that he solemnised twice Nikkah of Imran Khan with Bushra Bibi. Mufti Saeed, who is a member of PTI’s core committee,...

Economy

Dollar reaches all-time high in the interbank where it is being traded at Rs255. The rupee plummet a further and lowest so far in...

Economy

Honda jacks up prices citing uncertain economic conditions: Honda Atlas Cars Ltd. (HACL) raised the prices of several models by Rs300,000 to Rs550,000 effective...

Entertainment

The mother of well-known Bollywood actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui filed an FIR against her Daughter-in-law over a property dispute. According to ANI, an Indian news...