Officially called the Islamic Republic of Iran and known to many as Persia. Iran is a country in the West of Asia, bordered by Armenia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Turkey, Oman, and Pakistan. With a population of approximately 83 million, it is the second-largest country in the Middle East with its capital in its largest city Tehran. Culturally, Iran is home to one of the oldest civilizations with origins spanning back to the Elamite kingdoms in the fourth millennium BC.
Interesting Facts about Iran
• Iran is the 18th largest country in the world, approximately 1,648,195 sq km.
• Most areas within Iran have climate as that of a dry desert.
• Iran is home to 10% of the world’s oil reserves.
• The majority of the Iranian population is under the age of 30.
• Iran is known for its culture and more specifically its poetry.