KARACHI: Traders of Gul Plaza at MA Jinnah Road in Karachi have reported losses worth Rs 3 billion to their goods and shops. The fire started on Saturday, and within hours, it turned into an inferno.
Leader of the traders association, Atiq Mir, said each shop contained stock valued between Rs2.5 million and Rs3 million, much of it purchased in preparation for the upcoming Eid season.
Consequently, hundreds of shop owners suffered heavy financial losses within hours. Another affected trader said the blaze wiped out merchandise worth crores of rupees and urged the government to provide immediate relief and financial assistance to struggling merchants.
Chief Minister of Sindh Syed Murad Ali Shah has announced compensation for the traders and members of the victims who died in the tragic incident at Gul Plaza.
Meanwhile, officials confirmed that the 8000 plaza housed around 1200 shops, most of which were damaged by fire. Authorities have so far recovered 14 bodies, while officials believe the overall death toll could exceed 50. Rescue teams continue to search the building as cooling operations remain underway to ensure safety before further recovery work begins.
Road closures and rehabilitation plans announced by Sindh government
City traffic police closed MA Jinnah Road to general traffic following the incident. Officials diverted vehicles traveling from Tibet Centre toward Mazar-e-Quaid to alternative routes, while traffic from Sea Breeze Plaza toward Mereweather Tower has been redirected through Saddar. These measures aim to ease congestion and facilitate rescue and cleanup operations.
Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah announced that the provincial government will rebuild Gul Plaza and ensure full rehabilitation for affected traders and families of victims. During a high-level meeting on the incident, officials briefed the chief minister on the extent of damage and ongoing response efforts. He emphasized that the fire severely disrupted livelihoods and directed authorities to provide replacement shops as soon as possible so traders can resume business.
The government has formed a fact-finding and compensation committee comprising Nasser Shah, Saeed Ghani, Murtaza Wahab, and the Karachi Commissioner. The committee will recommend compensation amounts and oversee recovery plans. The chief minister also expressed condolences to families of fallen firefighters and confirmed that immediate compensation will be provided to them.

