Ukrainian anti-corruption detectives have detained a former energy minister in a sweeping graft investigation that triggered a political crisis late last year, authorities said Sunday.
The National Anti-Corruption Bureau of Ukraine (NABU) confirmed the arrest, saying investigators detained the unnamed former official while he attempted to cross the state border. The detention forms part of the high-profile “Midas” case, which centers on an alleged $100 million kickback scheme tied to the country’s state atomic energy sector.
NABU said priority investigative steps are ongoing and pledged further details once procedures allow. The agency did not disclose the suspect’s identity.
Scandal shakes political leadership
The widening probe has already shaken Ukraine’s political elite. The country’s previous two energy ministers stepped down amid the fallout, while the scandal also cost the job of the chief of staff to President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.
Officials implicated in the affair, including former ministers and senior aides, have denied wrongdoing. Nonetheless, the case continues to expand as investigators examine links between government officials and business elites allegedly involved in the scheme.
Authorities have framed the arrests as part of a broader push to tackle entrenched corruption, a longstanding challenge for Kyiv’s reform agenda.
Anti-graft drive tied to EU ambitions
Ukraine has intensified anti-corruption efforts as it seeks closer integration with the European Union. Brussels has repeatedly stressed that meaningful judicial and governance reforms remain essential for eventual membership.
In recent weeks, investigators have also targeted lawmakers and other prominent figures. Among those facing scrutiny are former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko and a former presidential adviser on separate charges.
The expanding investigations signal Kyiv’s determination to demonstrate accountability, even as the probes continue to test political stability.

