Australia, famous for exemplary fireworks at opera-house, Sydney, on New Yearโs night will not welcome gathering to see the celebrations. Sydney has announced โstay home-stay safeโ for the New Yearโs this year.
The city has banned large gatherings on the night amid the pandemic. Owing to the swift border closures, social distancing, lockdowns and massive testing, Australia has reported 28,300 infections and 908 deaths so far.
“On New Yearโs Eve, we donโt want any crowds on the foreshore around Sydney whatsoever.”
New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian
A mid-December resurgence of Covid-19 in the cityโs northern beach suburbs has grown to 125 cases after five new infections were recorded on Monday. That has led to further restrictions on the already toned-down plans for New Yearโs Eve. New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian banned most people from coming to Sydneyโs downtown that night and limited outdoor gatherings to 50 people.
Berejiklian said at a news conference,
โWe donโt want to create any super-spreading events on New Yearโs Eve, which then ruins it for everybody across the state moving forward,โ adding that watching the fireworks from home was the โsafestโ way to do so.
She added,
โOn New Yearโs Eve, we donโt want any crowds on the foreshore around Sydney whatsoever.”
Our Latest Updates
- E-Office Outage Hits Finance Ministry Ahead of IMF Review
- Imran to be shifted to hospital on Feb 25 for second injection
- Trump says โconsideringโ strike on Iran as Tehran says draft deal to be ready in next โtwo, three daysโ
- Supreme Court rules that Trumpโs sweeping emergency tariffs are illegal
- Iran says draft nuclear plan to be ready in โnext two, three daysโ

