Donald Trump deferred the US plan to strike Iran this week and instead set a deadline of 10-15 days for Iran to strike a nuclear deal.
Earlier media reports indicated a possible US attack on Iran by this Saturday. However, Trump’s statement today averted the attack threat.
Now the US-Iranian officials have a two-week deadline to make a deal on the Iranian nuclear program.
Speaking in Washington, he signalled possible US action if diplomacy fails, raising stakes in an already tense stand-off.
His remarks come as Washington increases its military presence in the Middle East, heightening fears of escalation. Still, Trump said negotiations were progressing but insisted Tehran must deliver concrete results. Otherwise, he warned, โbad things happen.โ
He referenced US air strikes in June, claiming Iranโs nuclear capacity had been โdecimated,โ while leaving open the possibility of further steps. Later, aboard Air Force One, he reiterated that a 10โ15 day window should be enough to test Iranโs intent, though he avoided detailing potential measures.
Talks continue but gaps remain
Despite tough rhetoric, Trump described ongoing contacts as productive. A senior US official said Iran may submit a written proposal addressing American concerns. Trump urged Tehran to choose what he called a โpath to peace,โ stressing that Iran must never obtain a nuclear weapon.
However, divisions remain. Iran insists its nuclear programme is peaceful and resists broader demands. Washington and its allies want Tehran to curb uranium enrichment, halt long-range missile development, and reduce regional activities. Iran rejects discussing issues beyond nuclear matters, calling missile limits a red line.
Meanwhile, tensions ripple globally. Oil prices have risen, and Russia has warned against escalation while joining naval drills with Iran in the Gulf of Oman. The US military build-up is expected to continue into mid-March, further fuelling uncertainty across the region.

