Iran’s top military commander warned Sunday that any US war against Tehran would deliver a harsh lesson to President Donald Trump, underscoring mounting tensions in the region.
Major General Abdolrahim Mousavi, Chief of Staff of Iran’s armed forces, said Trump should understand he would be entering what he called a lesson-giving battle. His remarks followed Trump’s statement that regime change in Iran “would be the best thing,” alongside reports of additional US military deployments.
The US president announced that the USS Gerald R. Ford, widely described as the world’s largest aircraft carrier, will soon head to the Middle East if diplomacy fails. “In case we don’t make a deal, we’ll need it,” Trump said, signalling readiness for escalation.
Military buildup fuels sharp rhetoric
The USS Abraham Lincoln and accompanying destroyers are already deployed in the Gulf, sent last month as tensions intensified. Mousavi dismissed Trump’s comments as reckless and unworthy of a president.
He added that talk of war contradicts ongoing negotiations, questioning Washington’s intentions as both sides pursue nuclear diplomacy. The latest round of talks took place in Oman on February 6, reviving dialogue after months of stagnation following the Iran-Israel conflict.
Diplomatic efforts continue despite threats
Regional actors, including Türkiye, have recently worked to calm tensions and restore diplomatic channels. Meanwhile, another round of negotiations is scheduled for Tuesday in Geneva, according to Deputy Foreign Minister Majid Takht-Ravanchi.
Takht-Ravanchi urged Washington to demonstrate sincerity in pursuing a deal aimed at resolving the nuclear issue. “The ball is in America’s court,” he said, adding that genuine commitment could pave the way toward an agreement.

