Australia has launched a review of its police and intelligence services following a deadly attack at Bondi Beach. Two gunmen allegedly killed 15 people during a Hanukkah festival on December 14. Authorities say the attack was inspired by extremist ideology.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said the review will examine whether agencies have the powers, structure, and information-sharing systems to protect citizens. He stressed that the recent atrocity highlights Australiaโs rapidly changing security environment. โOur security agencies must be in the best position to respond,โ he added.
Details of the Bondi Beach Attack
The accused perpetrators are a father and his son. The elder, 50-year-old Sajid Akram, was shot and killed by police during the attack. He had been living in Australia since 1998 on a visa.
His 24-year-old son, Naveed, remains in hospital under police guard. He faces multiple charges, including terrorism and 15 counts of murder. The pair had recently returned from a four-week trip to the southern Philippines, which is now under investigation.
Previous Intelligence Checks
Australian authorities had investigated the son in 2019 for potential radicalisation. At the time, officials found no threat. The father was also questioned but later obtained a gun licence allowing him to legally own six firearms.
The Prime Minister said the attack exposed โreal issuesโ in intelligence assessments. He emphasized the need to review systems and past evaluations to prevent future attacks.
Radicalisation and the Philippines Connection
The pairโs stay in Mindanao, Philippines, is being closely examined. During their 28-day visit, they reportedly stayed mostly in their hotel room. They left the room only for short periods, according to regional authorities.
Experts note that the father-son connection as alleged attackers is highly unusual. Their radicalisation apparently went undetected for years despite prior investigations. Authorities are examining whether intervention or support programs could have prevented the attack.
National Response and Safety Measures
The attack prompted national mourning and memorials. Australian flags flew at half-mast to honour the victims.
Authorities continue to assess security protocols and coordination among agencies.
Officials aim to strengthen intelligence sharing and operational readiness. The review will also consider overseas connections, training, and extremist networks. Overall, the government seeks to prevent similar tragedies in the future.

